+ Reply to Thread

Angry Ceiling fan installation help

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in my daughter's upstairs hallway. There were 2 recessed lights with 3 switches. I wired the lap light to the switches and looked for a new source for the fan motor. I figured I had it made as there is an attic light with a pull string nearby. I wired the fan to that light fixture. As it ends up, the light is being fed by ground fault circuit break. The ground fault circuit breaker apparently doesn't like to share the low voltage lead (white). The circuit breaker immediately trips. Any ideas before I take up the insulation in the attic looking for a non ground fault circuit? Is it possible that the ground fault just doesn't like the motor? I could wire the fan and light kit from the attic light (the ground fault circuit)

Default Re: Ceiling fan installation help

GFCI trip when ever there is a difference of current flow between the hot and neutral, they do not work on circuits with a shared leads. In your case you have current flow on the hot lead going to the fan but none on the neutral of the GFCI so it trips.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-02-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb