Re: Lead paint removal
Incidental risk of lead exposure is not likely to be harmful. You've already taken reasonable steps to mitigate exposure in your home; you are most likely OK.
You could have your child tested for lead exposure. That will either reveal a problem, which can be treated, or relieve your fears.
Most cases of lead poisoning have been due to continued exposure, such as drinking water from lead pipes or prolonged work exposure to lead dust. Lead-based paint that is well-secured to the surface is stable and unlikely to result in significant exposure. Of course, you don't want your children eating lead paint chips.
From The Mayo Clinic: "For children and adults with relatively low lead levels, simply avoiding exposure to lead may be enough to reduce blood lead levels."
However, The Mayo Clinic also says on another page, "Lead poisoning occurs when lead builds up in the body, often over a period of months or years. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious health problems. Children under the age of 6 are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning, which can severely affect mental and physical development. At very high levels, lead poisoning can be fatal."
Last edited by Fencepost; 12-08-2015 at 03:07 PM.
The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.