Default Spauling of exterior foundation cement blocks

Any input as to why the foundation blocks are spauling on my 1990's house? The house seems to have been built with 2 different kinds of cement blocks- some are a slightly more reddish color that the standard grey ones. These seem to be the ones that are the problem. ( by spauling I mean that pieces of the blocks are breaking off). These are on the exterior of the house between the ground and the siding. We tried to patch with cement but that also just fell off. Is this compromising the strength of the foundation? Any way to repair? Can we just put stone facade over it? We are in northeast Ohio.

Default Re: Spauling of exterior foundation cement blocks

Quote: "Any input as to why the foundation blocks are spauling on my 1990's house? "

What you have is most likely the result of moisture and other weather related factors. The blocks can be repaired, resurfaced with new mortar/concrete, but you need a good bonding agent (like epoxy) applied before the final coat. The blocks have to be clean, you can use a metal brush, a hammer and a cold chisel to clean them.