+ Reply to Thread

Default Sealing Barn Wood

I am in the process of restoring a 100 year old barn. I just recently powerwashed the interior washing off 100 years of dirt and grime and exposing the beautiful wood grain in the posts and beams. I am looking for some guidance as to what type of product I could spray on the wood to maintain this look.

Default Re: Sealing Barn Wood

Since you're doing the inside of the barn, it's largely for appearances, not waterproofing. This gives you the option of using varnish, sanding sealer, or waterproofing (like Thompson's waterseal). All will let the beauty of the natural wood show through. You can even stain the wood too if it doesn't have any sealant covering it, though this might be a little chancy. My opinion for what it's worth.

Good Luck.

I am no painter and do not know much about new products but if it were mine I would probably use boiled linseed oil. It is cheap and can be cut and sprayed. It can also be mixed with Urathane.

Upon doing some research I found a product that contains Boric Acid that is supposed to seal the wood, help prevent rotting and keep away wood boring insects. Any comments?