+ Reply to Thread

Red face walkway lifted by roots

I have read through some of the other threads and see similar issues and solutions, but nothing exactly like my situation. So here goes:

I have a concrete walkway made up of 4 slabs of 4'W X 7.5'L.
    Two of the 4 slabs are lifted up by tree roots approximately 3 inches. It is getting dangerous for anyone to walk on the walkway as they trip over the lifted slabs. I have to do something, but don't want to be rash and do the wrong thing.

I have lifted one of the slabs using a pick as leverage to see how it would hold up if moved or lifted. I think I could use some sort of slab lifter or place the slabs on some sort of rollers and roll it away or simply lift it up with some 4X4 posts. I could then rip out the roots via various methods discussed on other threads, flatten out the surface and put the slab back in place.

Has anyone done this before?
    Should I just break up the slabs and start over with a new walkway?

I am also concerned about the health of tree. One root is only 6' from the stump.

Default Re: walkway lifted by roots

I've never come across anyone lifting the slab like you're talking about. Sounds like a tough job. With a 7.5ft piece, you'll be lucky that it doesn't crack/break so I wouldn't move it around a lot. What you're describing sounds do-able but when you put the slab back in place, take extra pains to grade the substrate really flat. Hopefully the bottom of the slab will be flat too because if either one is not, the slab may rock.

Good Luck.

Unhappy Re: walkway lifted by roots

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it is not common practice what I was suggesting. So I probably won't do it. I was trying to save from having to redo the walkway completely. Which means I'll probably do the driveway while I am at it.

Wink Re: walkway lifted by roots

You can do it the way you want but it is a lot of work. As ma2804 stated, the more uneven the bottom of the slab is the more work it will be to get it to sit level. If you have other concrete to pour (you mentioned your driveway) I would get a cement contractor and do it all at once. You may want to tear out the entire sidewalk so it will all be the same color when its done. The amount of extra concrete to do this is negligible. Also, it will give you a chance to check for any roots growing under the rest of the sidewalk.

Calcats