+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Leaking faucet seat.... arrgggh

I have spent about two months trying to find and fix a leak in my tub. I have a price pfister array (hot, shower, cold water stems.) I've put in brand a new set of stems, nicely taped, and also new washers. The faucet seats in the hot and shower pipes screwed in tightly. The cold water seat goes in a little and then just spins in the pipe. I can turn it with my finger and with the allen wrench. I assume, at this point, that this is the source of the leak. I've put in two different brand new seats - to be sure it wasn't the seat itself. Tried them with and without tape. No change - still spinning. My current solution is to turn the house water off outside unless we are using water. Can't afford a plumber...

Here's my question - should I try silicone plumbers caulk or an epoxy on the faucet seat thread, to try and fix it in place and seal the leak?

Or - any other ideas?

Default Re: Leaking faucet seat.... arrgggh

If the seat is not tight and cannot be tightened, then it sounds like it's time for a new valve. Without seeing it in person, it's hard to say if there is a repair or not.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What is a valve?

I wonder if I have given the correct name for what I'm talking about...

Starting at the pipe that brings water in - there is a metal gasket type thing that screws into the end of the pipe. That's what I'm calling the faucet seat. The rubber washer presses against that. It is screwed into the faucet stem.

When I take the faucet seat out and run my finger around the opening in the pipe, there is a wider circular space, less than half an inch deep, and, past that, it feels like there are threads?

Ok - I googled *valve* Its a piece that fits unto the pipe. And the faucet seat is screwed into that. Is that right?

Do you know the longer name for it? And, are they typically soldered on - or could I possibly replace it myself?

Thanks so much for talking with me about this. I've very tired of the water probs at our house here...

Can you post a picture of it? The manufacturer may have an exploded view on their website that will help determine if the faucet is repairable or if the entire thing must be replaced. From the sounds of your description, it sounds like the one side is stripped out and likely beyond repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'll try to see if I can get a photo of it. That might take a day or so - but its been several months anyway.

I went to ACE Hardware (again) today and talked with them (again) about it. They didn't know what a valve was. I bought some plumbers epoxy and am toying with put that on the faucet seat and screwing it into the pipe.

But, now I'm going to try and post a photo first...

Are you sure you have the right size seat? I know they come in at least 2 sizes 1/2" and 5/8".
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

LOL - Jack! As I was making a plan to go to ACE and take a photo of the parts for upload here, I had the random thought: "Hmmm, I wonder if the seat is the right size??" So I did go take a picture and at the same time found that there is a seat that is one size larger. Bought it and am about to attempt the installation. Your comment gives me hope that this it the prob. We'll see!

Thanks.

Well, it didn't work. Its a cold water leak and that is where the "spinning" seat was. So, I replaced it with a 21/32 - 18 thread seat. It didn't spin so I thought that the leak would stop. But it didn't. I think its possible that it is still about the fit of this seat. When I put my finger in the middle of it, plugging the center hole, water welled up from somewhere and dripped out of the pipe. Unless I just wasn't able to plug it enough, that must have been from around the edge of the seat?

Also, I took all the stems out when I started today. And (this is the second time this has happened) the hot water washer was completely gone! It must have fallen down in the wall as I pulled the stem out. But, why is it coming off the stem? The screw was still there - just no washer attached.

So far the only way I can get the leak to stop is to turn the water off outside the house. Then open both the shower and cold water handles. Eventually the dripping will stop.

One thing I'm starting to wonder about is this: Originally I had a handy man repair the leak. He selected the faucet stems and seats by eye balling the old ones to the closest match at the hardware store. The leak stopped for about a week. Then it started again with a vengeance. At that time I pulled off all the stems myself and the hot water washer was missing. And when I pulled the cold water stem off - the faucet stem came out, stuck to the rubber washer on the stem. A question I have is: If the handy man got the wrong faucet stems - would they fit in?

I'm going to try and post a photo now. If it works: The shower diverter is on the left, then the hot and cold stems. And the darker brown seat (left) is the old one. The lighter one is the new one that I just installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_2260.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	2524  

Your finger on the seat is not likely to stop the water.

The washer coming off may be because you are tightening the screw down to tightly forcing the screw through the washer.

Have you considered installing shut offs on the lines going to the shower? You can get shut off that are installed with compression joints if you don't want to solder.

Have you considered going to http://www.pricepfister.com/index.aspx and ordering the parts from the manufacturer?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb