+ Reply to Thread

Default Blued Wood Screws

Hello all,

A quick question. I have boxes of old round head blued wood screws and I was wondering what they are/were used for. They came from my grandfathers wood shop and I found them while cleaning out a storage unit. I can't find any info on the web and thought I would try here.

Thanks,

Mark

Default Re: Blued Wood Screws

Pretty much anybody's guess would be valid. I've seen them used for assembling wooden items where disassembly may be required; a visually attractive screw is desired since it's exposed to view. For example, my parents had an old pump organ; the front panel just under the keys was removable for servicing the mechanism. The panel was attached with two round-headed, blued wood screws.

Being blued, it could be used with stained materials and not be visually obtrusive, as a bright, zinc-plated screw (like you get at the hardware store nowadays) would be. Bluing was an early method of rust prevention, prior to the invention of galvanizing, anodizing, or powder coating.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

"Being blued, it could be used with stained materials and not be visually obtrusive, as a bright, zinc-plated screw (like you get at the hardware store nowadays) would be. Bluing was an early method of rust prevention, prior to the invention of galvanizing, anodizing, or powder coating"

This is probably true.

Today we use blue screws for outdoor applications, but really, these exterior screws come in different colors.

You can use these screws for various jobs, or save them as "grandpa's gift".

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    "Being blued, it could be used with stained materials and not be visually obtrusive, as a bright, zinc-plated screw (like you get at the hardware store nowadays) would be. Bluing was an early method of rust prevention, prior to the invention of galvanizing, anodizing, or powder coating"

This is probably true.

Today we use blue screws for outdoor applications, but really, these exterior screws come in different colors.

You can use these screws for various jobs, or save them as "grandpa's gift".
    Lest anybody be confused, bluing is not the same as the blue outdoor screws!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28steel%29
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I remember an old carpenter saying that he held blued nails in his mouth and that the blued one tasted better. this was the way 40 years ago