+ Reply to Thread

Default Which direction to lay hardwood floor?

OK, traditionally, one lays the boards in the direction of the length of the room, right. So for an long entry way you would install the boards going away from the door. Makes sense.

But we have a 10 ft entry way which leads to a 15x25ft living room. And this living room is perpendicular to the the direction of the entry way. So theoretically, the boards would want to be laid in that direction which is 90 degrees from the entry way.

On top of that, also joining this entry is a kitchen which is also 90 deg from the entry. I am a bit concerned that laying the boards in one direction for the entry and then in a perpendicular direction for the two other rooms will look out of whack. There are no doors in between these rooms so the continuity of the floor can be seen very easily. I am also using bamboo (vertical cut) which has pronounced "streaks" along its length so the direction of the wood is pretty strong,

Any thoughts form anyone?

Default Re: Which direction to lay hardwood floor?

90 degrees from floor joist's.

Thanks NEC. I did read many posts suggesting that. But I have a fairly thick floorboard plus some 3/8'ply on top of that. Does that still hold?

Traditional, yes. It will look right (IMHO) regardless of room size.

Thanks, jkirk.

Yes, maybe the trick is to create a good transition area. Maybe run the entry way length wise and then create a 45 degree Fan shape at the transition to the two rooms...

I looked on Google Images to see if I could find pictures of such an effect but to no avail. Does anyone know where I could find pictures of such transitions?

Thank you.

Bo

Run a darker border strip around the rooms, including across the end of hallway and door openings, then you can change the direction any way you like.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!