+ Reply to Thread

Default Where to buy a window kit to install in a flush door?

I am installing a new wood flush entry door in my house. I would like to cut 3 rectangle windows in it. I could assemble all the parts to build the casing and frames but I was wondering if anyone was selling window framing/casing kits. This way, all I would have to do and resize them to my dimensions, have the glass cut and install.

Thank you for any help.

Bmachine

Default Re: Where to buy a window kit to install in a flush door?

I used to buy wooden outside corner molding and just cut it with a mitre saw. I'd install it on both sides of the door and sandwich the glass in the middle. You were going to re-size it anyway so this way you can make it any size you want. I believe building code requires safety glass in the door but my experience has been that you can't get pieces that small that are tempered, without a lot of trouble and money. I just installed six windows in some panel doors and installed a double layer of glass.

Just cut the holes in the door first and then do the molding and glass. If you want something fancier, I'd check first with a door manufacturer/vendor in your area and see what they have in stock. They'd probably cut one to size for you too. If all else fails, head to the internet and do a Google for it.

Good Luck.

Corner molding! Brilliant! (in a "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of way of course...) Thank you ma2804!

Yes, that sounds great and keeps the whole thing really simple. As you say, all I need is one outside, one inside and sandwich the glass in the middle. So I should probably have the glass cut first, then use them to trace and cut the holes in the door, trim the depth of the corner molding, throw a bead of clear silicone in the middle and we're done, right? Excellent.

I am intrigued by your using of a double layer of glass. Does that really reinforce the window? Because the two pieces are still independent of each other and therefore just as likely to break, aren't they? Well, I guess maybe if they vibrate against each other they may cancel each other out... as long as they don't vibrate at the same frequency that is...

Bo

The thicker the glass, the stronger it will be. If you don't purchase safety glass, which is cut then tempered, then at least purchase "double strength" glass, which is a little better at handling the shock of vibration and jarring.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you A. Spruce.

Which do you think would be preferable then, "Double strength" or simply two panes butted against each other?

Thank you.

With the size that you're talking about, either way would probably be fine. I think you'll find that one double strength piece of glass will be cheaper than two standard pieces of glass.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yep. A double strength piece of glass, like a 1/4" thick probably would be cheaper. I just used some decorative glue chip glass in the last set of doors that I did and wanted to have a smooth side on both of the "outsides" of the glass, to keep it clean easier. The glue chip is textured and would hold the dirt too well. That's just my problem. Yours is a little different.

Good Luck.