+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How

Default How

I want to install a dishwasher and there isn't one there now how do I do the electric ?????

Default Re: How

I think that dishwashers are required by code to be on their own, dedicated electrical circuit, usually 120V 20A, wired with 12 gauge wire (12/2 W/Ground).

An alternative that may not meet code but would probably work is if you have an outlet under your sink for a garbage disposer, you could wire your dishwasher with a cord and plug and plug it in there.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by vw3cs View Post
    I want to install a dishwasher and there isn't one there now how do I do the electric ?????
    With no more information than you supplied and not knowing your electrical experience, I would suggest you call an electrician.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    With no more information than you supplied and not knowing your electrical experience, I would suggest you call an electrician.
    Jack
    Great minds think alike.

Red face Re: How

I have more than basic electrical knowledge. Have worked with electric at various jobs.

I have more than basic electrical knowledge. Have worked with electric at various jobs.
    Obviously so……….. Here you go. …….. Connect black, white and green wire to dishwasher…………. That help?

If you did not turn the power off first do not hang on to the conductor in the black wire and the conductor in either the green or white one at the same time. No, no, no!

A plug in dishwasher can not(and should not) share a circuit with a garbage disposer,or any other load. You need to pull a new circuit(12/2wgrd,20 amp breaker) Depending on where the dishwasher is located in relation to your electrical panel,this can range from simple to damn near impossible.At the very least i would try and get a licensed electrician to give you some guidance(expect him,or her to charge you for their knowledge)Just because something works does not make it safe.

If I run a separate cicuit breaker to it will that do the trick ?

If I run a separate cicuit breaker to it will that do the trick ?
    That should. It is dedicated to a single circuit which is what the code is asking. Never done electrical but if I am reading these posts right, it should cover it. Plus that is how my dishwasher is set up.