Hey guys, just thought I would throw this out there in case it can help anyone else in their future projects. I built some custom cabinets in my master bedroom closet (along with tile, paint, removing popcorn, and baseboards). I didn't really so much have a plan, rather than just kind of winging it with what I made in my head as I went along. I ran into some frustration with what I would do when I had two intersecting clothing rods at the same level in the corners of the walk-in closet. I needed something that would help distribute the weight evenly to the bars, while not eliminating functionality. In the end, I used a T-coupler from a chain link fence. I had remembered seeing on a chain link fence years ago, that sometimes the upper supporting horizontal rail was connected to the non-post vertical supporting rails through the use of a T-coupler. Incidentally, the smaller poles for the chain link fence are also 1-5/8ths of an inch, the same as the nickel plated clothing rods from Lowes and Home Despot.

It worked out really well for me. I also put some thin 1/8" foam in between the poles and the coupler to help keep it from slipping (not that it was really an issue). After tightening it down, I then trimmed the excess with a razorblade.

(Note: In this picture it's not finished, I still have to put little finishing blocks under the mount for the third hole)

And here are some pictures of the overall finished closet. I didn't so much have a plan, than I just kind of wanted to make the best use of the space that I had, with stuff I had laying around in the garage. I made a 100 trips to Home Depot for odds and ends (should have planned it out), but it came out pretty good. The upright cabinet came from Lowes, it was a kit, at $327. The other boards came from a shelving unit that I took apart when I helped my father in law clean out his storage unit. I just sanded it down and stained it. The tile and baseboard all came from Home Depot.