+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bluestone Walkway

I curently have a cement walkway from my driveway to the front stairs. A few years ago I replaced the front stairs with Bluestone and I was thinking that I would like to replace the walkway with Bluestone. (I'm looking for a somewhat formal, tradional look.)

My concern is longevity and maintenance. I'm in NJ, so we do have winter weather and I've heard that cement jonts crack and are hard to match afterwards.

TOH has a video for a bluestone patio with the idea of preparing the gound and cementing the stone so it doesn't shift.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...280414,00.html

Does anyone have experience with this technique? Is it effective? How thick should the stone be? It seems they can be between 1-2 inches.

Does anyone have any idea about the pricing for bluestone?

Are pavers more long lasting and maintenance free?

Thanks,

Marc

Question Re: Bluestone Walkway

I know I'm new to the list, but I was hoping someone might have some advise. I do a lot around the house, but have questions and could use some guidance.

Thanks.

Marc

Exclamation Re: Bluestone Walkway

Just a bit of advice from someone with a flagstone/bluestone patio and walkway- be armed with weeding tools and turf-killer sprays. I spend the entire spring pulling weeds, grass, you name it from between the stones. Even though the patio and walkways were professionally done- raised, sand underneath and bluestone dust on top of the sand and then bluestone dust between the stones- weeds prevail. I'm in Virginia. We had it installed almost 12 years ago and have never had a stone break, chip, etc. even with the kids playing basketball, skateboarding, rollerblading, etc. So, it's beautiful and hardy, but there's a lot to be said for stamped concrete that looks like bluestone! Good luck!

Default Re: Bluestone Walkway

Thanks for your response. I do like the idea of relatively maintenance free. We'll have to see. I'm still figuring out what to do.

Marc