Default AC units and reroofing

I am curious about what should be SOP for roof mounted A/C units during a reroof; specifically, on a flat roof (foam) should the unit be removed, foam applied and reset, especially when the leak location is suspected to be under the A/C unit in the first place? What about instances when a leak is not apparent near the A/C unit?

Default Re: AC units and reroofing

If the a/c unit can be easily removed, then just remove it and the brackets that hold it in place. After you finish the re roof job, re install it.

However, this could be too difficult or too expensive.

In that case, re-roof around the base.

I've done one like this on a rental house, and it worked great. Every 6 months I climb up there and check the tar and re-tar if needed.

If the leak is suspected to be under the A/C unit then I think it probably should be removed. The only spray foam roof I ever dealt with had leaks that exited far from where the leak originated. It was next to impossible to tell where that was.
    If the unit is on a curb or some kind of dunnage, then that is a likely place for water to get in. New flashing is probably needed.
    For the life of me I can't remember what we did to solve the problem, since this was one of many roof jobs for a local school system.

Around here in southern California, many homes are going solar power. With 4 bolts into rafters per solar panel, and with some 20-30 panels on the roof, imagine how difficult a re-roofing job is going to be, in 10 or 20 years time.

I see leaks everywhere in the near future, IF IT RAINS...