+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stall Shower

Hybrid View

Default Stall Shower

I have a really old Stall Shower in my basement...I would probably say its close to 13 years old...Now the issue I am having is that the shower head that comes thru the wall is no longer stuck to the wall...I can move the whole head...Can someone tell me what I need to fix this? The piece of metal that is/was glued to the wall is no long stuck to the wall as that moves as well...Anyone have any ideas..? I was thinking of just replacing it since its so old but wanted to try and fix this little issue.

Thanks for Looking

Default Re: Stall Shower

Need more information.

The piece of metal that was glued to the wall is loose. Is this metal the round flange that covers the hole where the shower feed comes through the shower wall? If so, either replace it or use it again. Clean it up and caulk around the place where it lies against the wall, making it waterproof so water doesn't go back down the hole in the wall.

If the metal is inside the wall, you're going to have to tear out some of the shower stall wall to get to it so you can re-fasten the plumbing pipe in the wall.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Thats it. The piece of metal that was glued to the wall is loose. Is this metal the round flange that covers the hole where the shower feed comes through the shower wall? Yes thats exactly what it was. Would I be better off getting a new one? Or replacing it? Also can you tell me if there is any specific caulk that I need?

the shower head should be screwed into a brass or copper fitting that sits on top of the pipe that extends up from the shower valve. the pipe is supposed to be secured to or between a stud(s). what i would do it open the wall behind the shower head, properly secure the pipe where it meets the fitting then you can unscrew the neck to the shower head or the head itself and replace the flange. if you ever have to tighten the shower head or replace the pipe that the shower head is attached to, i'd be afraid of breaking the joint behind the wall if the pipe isn't properly secured. you should be able to do all this with a small hole in the wall behind the shower head, maybe 8" x 8" or so.

The flange is just a chrome piece of metal and they tend to rust anyway, after a time. Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or probably a good hardware store and buy a new one. Pick up a tube of white caulking too. You can unscrew the actual shower head from the pipe that comes out of the wall and the old flange will slide off.

Clean all the junk off the wall where the old one was. I like to fill the new flange with caulk, more than it will hold so it will squish out around the edge. Keep it away from the hole in the middle so you don't make a mess of the shower stub (pipe). When you get the flange tight to the wall, the excess caulking should come out around it and hopefully around the pipe. Take a rag and wipe up the excess and you should be good to go. Now put the shower head back on. You might want to wrap the threads with a few wraps of teflon tape. It's white and available in the plumbing section of HD.

Good Luck.