+ Reply to Thread

Default repair of concrete underlayment before tiling shower

In our 1976 house, we want to tile the floor of the shower. The underlayment is concrete. The shower is slightly belowground as the house is a raised ranch style. The concrete in the existing shower has a crack in it. Can I repair the crack before tiling, or do I need to install another base over the concrete before I tile it?

Default Re: repair of concrete underlayment before tiling shower

As for repairing the crack in the concrete ... you could patch it however it may come back depending on the cause for it in the first place.
    Personally I would recommend a decoupling membrane for any tile project especially on a concrete slab.

You might want to check out this manufacturer .... Schulter.com for their Kerdi and Ditra decoupling / waterproofing membranes. They also have a great shower system.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

there are membranes made for crack isolation that can be installed over cracks to protect the tile from cracking.These membranes should be tested to the ANSI standard 118.12.
    http://www.noblecompany.com/Portals/...PD_0407_lr.pdf
    One advantage of Crack Isolation membranes over Uncoupling membranes is that you don't have to cover the whole floor.
    In your case is there a waterproofing membrane under the shower floor? If NOT I would consider re-doing the shower per code with a shower liner..
    Last edited by MItile; 06-05-2009 at 10:11 AM.