+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flat vs Gloss

Default Flat vs Gloss

I am in the middle of preparing our 18th century house for exteror painting. I like the look of flat latex as a top coat for our old house, but was wondering if anyone knew if there is an advantage to using a low luster for the top coat. (I have seen historic houses painted with a gloss) I can't find any information about this. I am using a dark color and the clapboards are not in the best of shape in some areas. Anyone have any insight? BWoolf

Default Re: Flat vs Gloss

I will personally advise you to use the flat sheen... or satin, at the most. The higher the sheen, the more it will show/magnify every little irregularity in the surface.

If you like, you could probably get away with using semi-gloss on the trim. A little sparkle on the trim works nicely in the appearance department.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-18-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Default Re: Flat vs Gloss

Quote Originally Posted by Bwoolf View Post
    I am in the middle of preparing our 18th century house for exteror painting. I like the look of flat latex as a top coat for our old house, but was wondering if anyone knew if there is an advantage to using a low luster for the top coat. (I have seen historic houses painted with a gloss) I can't find any information about this. I am using a dark color and the clapboards are not in the best of shape in some areas. Anyone have any insight? BWoolf
    My house is circa 1680 and I just finished it after a four year reno/resto. The original house was red and I wanted to keep it that way.
    A Benj Moore rep actually came to my house because I'm a contractor that deals with my local paint store a lot as well as the house interested him.
    HE gave me great painting advice but his choice of red was incredably bad.
    I painted one whole side of the garage and the rear. when i came out to look at it in the morning I almost vomited, It looked like I put red vinyl siding on my house. the rep swore it wouldn't be as glossy as it was.
    Long story short...they reambersed me for the $45 a gallon a can paint of which I used a good five gallons.
    I ended up with the same red (cottage red) but this time I used what BM calls "low luster". there's virtually no sheen at all yet its not dead flat. Its perfect actually. You'll find that one paint thats Satin is another brands semi...you really need to sample it.
    I can tell you this though. The BM paints are incredibly great. The oil problem solver primer is bullet proof and two top coats of the latex exterior make it indestructable and the colors are deep and rich and cover really well. the primer is super thick btw. Sherwin Williams also makes an equivilent paint but I lean towards Beny Moore.

Just today found the original picture of this house from when I bought it. A first appearance on the web.. lol
    PS..other exterior pic are in my website below if you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goosehilloriginal.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ladder sale.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	195  
    Last edited by andybuildz; 09-18-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו