+ Reply to Thread

Thread: June's Cover

Unhappy June's Cover

First off, I'll admit I'm likely making more of an issue out of something than there is. I got my June issue a couple days ago and the cover bothers me. It's been over Photoshopped and it's a poor job at that. Now I know most covers/pictures are probably corrected, but this one is just obvious. I started looking close at the cover because the underlying picture didn't make sense. There would never be such a large unbroken wall on the front porch of a house. Sure enough, looking at the feature article on the inside from which the image was sourced, they had completely taken out a window! I know it was done to provide a background for text, but it wrecked the base image.

That big change made me go poking around for more. It's minor, but the cover is a mirror image of the real house.

Also, the furniture on the cover is clearly a digital darkroom add. Look at the wicker chair on the bottom left - it's floating on the wall!

Lastly, and I can't be sure, but I think there may have been some landscaping adds or changes. Looking at the far away whole house shot on the inside of the mag, the trees don't seem to make sense. I think it's most likely that the inside picture deleted some trees to give a better view of the whole house.

Like I said originally, I'm probably making more of something than is there. But I do appreciate and expect authenticity and accuracy, particularly in TOH. I often try to piece together different views of rooms & houses to get a better understanding of the whole look/layout than is presented in the mag due to space. It's frustrating when things don't add up because of things like moved windows.

Default Re: June's Cover

I'm with you on some of the photoshopping that went on. In the article about the family that rehabbed the Queen Anne the reflections in the windows (front door shot & view through house where you can see the house across the street) look totally drawn in to me. There's just something not "right" about them.

You'd have to look pretty closely to notice either, but the mind often catches what the eye doesn't see and it somehow throws off the entire picture without being obvious.

I'll have to look at the cover again to see you're catches.

Interesting that we are "fooled" more and more these days with modern technology. I'd rather see the flaws that add character than have everything "perfect" just because it's on the cover of a magazine. There are few perfect things in this world and the flaws add more to the story, in my mind, than a picture perfect rework.

My two cents. . . .Tim

Default Re: June's Cover

Quote Originally Posted by TRLambert View Post
    I'm with you on some of the photoshopping that went on. In the article about the family that rehabbed the Queen Anne the reflections in the windows (front door shot & view through house where you can see the house across the street) look totally drawn in to me. There's just something not "right" about them.

You'd have to look pretty closely to notice either, but the mind often catches what the eye doesn't see and it somehow throws off the entire picture without being obvious.

I'll have to look at the cover again to see you're catches.

Interesting that we are "fooled" more and more these days with modern technology. I'd rather see the flaws that add character than have everything "perfect" just because it's on the cover of a magazine. There are few perfect things in this world and the flaws add more to the story, in my mind, than a picture perfect rework.

My two cents. . . .Tim
    Keeping with the same article, how can I get my grass as green and perfect as the lawn leading to the garage?