+ Reply to Thread

Default antique finish ? help

I am building a piece of furnature, I need to put a black antique finish on it . I think that is what it is called. It appears to be stained (light in color) then a black finish over that, then a light sand to expose the wood under the black. What is the black? stain? paint? What should I finish the final project with? I was thinking a hand rubbed poly......

Default Re: antique finish ? help

This info comes with no guarantees but a lot of experience. About 40 years ago I used a combination of paint and glaze to get that "antique" finish. I suggest that you try this on a small area in case the result is not what you're looking for. Get a small can of ebony stain. Minwax has one. This stuff is thin but pretty dark. Just wipe it on over the light finish with a rag and wipe it off really quickly with a clean rag. This should give you the corner and convex area staining I think you're looking for. You can adjust the darkness by wiping off less or more or just letting it dry longer before wiping. Don't be too neat. Hand rubbing anything over a finish that uses a similar solvent (solvent based poly over solvent based paint or stain) is a recipe for disaster. In fact, in my experience if you're going to put anything over it spray it on.
    Last edited by azwhiz; 09-17-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Incompleteness.

Default Re: antique finish ? help

This info comes with no guarantees but lot of experience. About 40 years ago I used a combination of paint and glaze to get that "antique" finish. I suggest that you try this on a small area in case the result is not what you're looking for. Get a small can of ebony stain. Minwax has one. This stuff is thin but pretty dark. Just wipe it on with a rag and wipe it off really quickly with a clean rag. This should give you the corner and convex area staining I think you're looking for. You can adjust the darkness by wiping off less or more or just letting it dry longer before wiping.