+ Reply to Thread

Question Realized aerator not removable...too late?

Hello,

I was attempting to install a low flow aerator on what I thought was a normal sink (Price Pfister ball faucet, single lever. When it wouldn't unscrew easily we tried a wrench. Turns out it isn't a threaded assembly: there is a hole in it that the copper pipe for water enters the assembly. I am afraid we have broken a soldered connection, because I can't see how it is watertight, and we may have bent the pipe a bit to one side, as we can't get the assembly back in. Before I spend a lot on a plumber, any idea if I can fix this myself? I've tried to figure out the sink model but can't find any diagrams and such on the Price-Pfister site--they all show normal aerators.
    THANKS!

Last edited by duiker22; 05-26-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Default Re: Realized aerator not removable...too late?

I don't know the answer to your question, but it is probably easier and cheaper to replace the faucet yourself.
    Chances are a plumber will do the same thing plus charge you labor on top of markup for the faucet and maybe travel time.
    On a side note, my father(a plumber) made my uncle(a bricklayer) promise never to do any plumbing work, because whenever he did he broke stuff that ended taking my father twice as long to fix. It seems hefting brick and block all day long didn't lend itself to the "touch" needed for working on plumbing.

Are you saying I would make a good brick layer?

Yeah, I think we are heading to the re-use store today for a "new" faucet. I have a bathroom remodel in the works for this fall (because the **** flecked sink is not really a plus), and I hate to have it all repaired only to rip it out and put in a different sink in 3 months.

We'll see if I can't destroy something else when I put in the new faucet....

Quote Originally Posted by duiker22 View Post
    Are you saying I would make a good brick layer?

Yeah, I think we are heading to the re-use store today for a "new" faucet. I have a bathroom remodel in the works for this fall (because the **** flecked sink is not really a plus), and I hate to have it all repaired only to rip it out and put in a different sink in 3 months.

You quite possibly might make a good bricklayer, but after breaking the faucet & replacing it, you're probably on your way to developing the touch. Better now than when you remodel later.
    As far as touch goes, my father couldn't lay brick either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    god is a little child.....

Well, it WAS a removable aerator. Until the mineral buildup welded the aerator to the faucet body and became stronger than the solder joint.

Price Pfister faucets supposedly have a good warranty. You could find out just how good it is by calling the factory. The worst they can do is say "not covered," but who knows... they might send you a replacement faucet. It's worth a try.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Ha, ha.. Funny thread. Actually, our plumber had the same issue with the exact same faucet and sink combination. He managed to re-thread it using a die and managed to seal it. That was over a year ago. How did u get on with it?
    For tips and advice on Hidden Content head to DHI today.