Default countertop rehab

Hi I am new to this site. I have a question and hope someone can help me. I have an old countertop that is made up of 1"X1" tiles. I want to cover the countertop with a material that I can see through however will allow the top to be smooth and level all over. Maybe like a resin?

Default Re: countertop rehab

Other than tempered glass, which I would not recommend, I can think of no such product that is food safe.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

A few years ago I removed and replaced a resin counter top. What a piece of garbage, and not transparent at all.

The best idea, though a little more expensive, is the remove the old tile, and install a new counter top. The choice is yours.

Not sure how you made out, but I'm currently experiencing the same issue. While my counters aren't tile, they are an old, worn out and washed-out laminate. I'm not quite sure how much counter space you have, but have you thought about just totally replacing them?

My current counter space is limited, so this wouldn't be a huge cost depending on the material I choose. I'm currently pricing things like granite vs. acrylic and so on. This could be a good option if you really don't want to deal with sanding, painting, and sealing. I learned about the different materials and grades for those materials and got a decent quote from here so far - http://www.bombergers.com/Content/countertops.asp.

Other than that, a friend of mine suggested counter top paint. He also had a neat idea to sand and distress the counter tops, then seal them in (with a food-safe sealant of course) for a really unique look.