+ Reply to Thread

Default sliding patio door advice

I want to replace my patio sliding glass door. I can't decide if I want to go with aluminum, aluminum clad, vinyl, or fiberglass. I want a frame that is strong enough to not be opened by prying with a screwdriver or other tool. I also want a energy efficient door. I will be going with Low E, argon gas filled. I don't think there are any aluminum frames which are energy star compliant.I have looked at Pella fiberglass and aluminum clad. And, I have looked at the American Standard doors from Home Depot. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: sliding patio door advice

If you're looking for security, do not install a slider, all anyone has to do is break the glass and they're in. A French door would be a little more secure than a slider and still allow a much larger opening than a standard door. Also, unless you install a security strike on any swing door, they are easily kicked in, so don't assume that because you've got a metal or fiberglass door that you're safer. The jamb is the weak point, the bolt area of the door is the second weak point. Both places can be easily reinforced without depreciating the aesthetics of the door system.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If you're looking for security, do not install a slider, all anyone has to do is break the glass and they're in. A French door would be a little more secure than a slider and still allow a much larger opening than a standard door. Also, unless you install a security strike on any swing door, they are easily kicked in, so don't assume that because you've got a metal or fiberglass door that you're safer. The jamb is the weak point, the bolt area of the door is the second weak point. Both places can be easily reinforced without depreciating the aesthetics of the door system.
    I think it is a sad state if you need to think that way....... I ordered in for supper tonight and figured out my front door has been unlocked for a few months......... If thieves did come they would be very disappointed should I not be home. Should I be home a 12 guage would be happy to meet them.

I'm not saying that I think this way, much like you, I pity the fool that decides that my house is a good mark. Having said that, I have had numerous clients with security issues, and IF security is important, then choosing the right door and security system is important.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have the "standard" ~$500 Pella Low-E glass, dual pane, "grills" in between the panes, vinyl slider from Lowes in my new addition.

We are very happy with it. I did order the optional lock cylinder with it and use that as a lock. For where we live, if somebody wanted to break the glass they would have plenty of time to get in and few chances to be observed, so the door type was not so important to us.

You can buy braces for sliders, or just use a short piece of board.

One advantage of wood-framed sliders (from Pella and other manufacturers) is that you can get a foot lock that mounts on the bottom track. A friend of mine has this plus the key lockset. It is very secure.

GOOD LUCK!

John.

Wink Re: sliding patio door advice

You could get a slider with a three point locking system which makes the frame fairly secure. Next, is the glass, you could use 1/4"x1/4" insulated laminated glass which again would make it fairly secure. But if you are in an area that is subject to crime then as A.Spruce stated, the smaller the door the more secure it is. Sometimes a good burglar alarm works well, the problem is when the alarm goes off and your in a deep sleep. The result of this scenario could find you peeling yourself off of the ceiling, (just speaking from experience). A lot of decisions all subject to your preferences. Good Luck.

Calcats