+ Reply to Thread

Default Repair a Stripped Thread Metal Coat Rack

Hi and thank you in advance for any suggestions you have. I found a black metal coat rack in my apartment recycle area. The reason it was there is that the top section is stripped; so every time I place a coat on the hooks it falls to the floor. I know there should be a way to fix this, but I cannot seem to find any solution in the land of google. I believe the rack is from Ikea.
    Thanks so much.
    Kodi. NYC

Default Re: Repair a Stripped Thread Metal Coat Rack

kodi e-mail me a picture of the coat rack and I'll post it on TOH forum. With a picture we will have some idea of how to fix it. e-mail picture to jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jackson-
    Thank you so much. I have sent 3 images to the email you suggested. Looking forward to a solution...I hope.
    Thanks again.
    Teresa

OK guys and gals here are the pictures and my suggestion.
    My suggestion would be to put the unit together and then install a self tapping metal screw that goes through the outside and trough the threaded area to keep it together. You can get self tapping metal screws at most hardware and big box stores. You will need a drill with a driver bit to install it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I think the repair you choose will depend on your skills, available tools, and budget.

First thing I'd try is to wrap a rag around the female portion and then very carefully crimp a pair of channel lock pliers on it, all the way around. My suspicion is that the female side has been flared out from use and abuse, by slightly reducing it's circumference, the threads should have enough bite back to hold it together. Another way to do it would be to take a piece of wood and roll the tube back and forth on the floor, with pressure on the wood, again, trying to reduce the circumference of the tube slightly.

Second thing would be to assemble the pieces, then drill a hole through both. You can then install a machine screw with cap nut.

Third thing would be to assemble the pieces, drill and tap two holes, one on opposing sides of the post and install machine screws.

Forth thing would be to get a hose clamp large enough to fit the diameter of the post, slide it into place, assemble the two halves of the post, tighten clamp as tight as possible. You can paint the hose clamp to match the post or cover with black electrical tape to keep it from possibly snagging anything that gets hung on the rack.

Fifth thing would be to return the rack to the community dumpster and go get a new rack that isn't broken.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'll bet the male threaded part is a loose piece which can be screwed out more, leaving enough in the base to still hold while adding more to the flared-out top section's grip area. Were it mine, I'd unscrew the male threaded part and epoxy it into the loose top section, screwing it in about halfway, then when dry reassemble and use till it failed again- which might be never. I prefer "JB Weld" epoxy; the fast-setting kinds are nowhere near as strong and this brand has never let me down.

Phil

There is no reason not to fix this thing with a few tack welds. It only has the threads so that it could be SKD with a lower rate. Parcels over a certain length jump to a higher rate category as "oversize".
    SKD= shipped knocked-down.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.