+ Reply to Thread

Question Vaulted Ceiling Crown Molding ?

I have 2 rooms with vaulted ceilings that I think I want to put Crown Molding in, but I personally have not seen how it looks installed on the diagonal slopes.

Does anyone know if this is done commonly?

If anyone could direct me to a good photograph, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ken

Default Re: Vaulted Ceiling Crown Molding ?

It looks pretty good, the tricky part is making the transition cuts between the diagonal line and the horizontal line. We've had this discussion here with links to find out how to make the cuts. Use Google's Advance Search to search this site for "crown" and "vaulted crown".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

In doing a search on crown earlier on this site, I found a thread that went to the Cut-N-Crown website and so became aware of their Crown jigs,etc.

According to their claims the jigs will make any crown work more efficient, including vaulted crown. It would be my thought to use these in my work.

I'll try the other search now.

Thanks

I would caution about buying any kind of special jig or doodad for cutting crown or any other molding, as most of these items are designed for one of two things, to lighten your wallet of hard earned greenbacks, or for the professional installer who does this sort of thing for a living.

Take a look at this thread here at TOH, it's got some good links and info.
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=1689
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I had just finished reading it when I got your new post.

Thanks again!

Ken

Your welcome. Keep us posted on your project.

I am new here.This is my first post so I don't know how it's going to work out
    I to have looked all over for information this is the best site I found. http://www.compoundmiter.com/cathedral_ceiling.html
    I have been a finish carpenter for over 35 years and found this extremely difficult if you read it all. Look at the pictures and it may come to you. Essentially a an addition transition piece between the slope piece and the horizontal is what they are trying to show. After trying this for over an hour I gave up and simply cut my miters a 45’s “upside down and backwards” with a Hitachi slide mitersaw and installed the pieces with little problem. Yes, the purists will say you can’t do it . The only thing I found is that the moldings sit at different pitches of the walls as they do from the ceilings. But you do away with e transition piece that in my opinion looks odd. I’ve attached a few links to the house we finished last year, not actually of the crown moldings but they are in the pictures. Click on the pictures they will enlarge one more time and you might get a better looks at the miters. Good luck. Be patient
    http://moxconstruction.com/images/g.jpg
    http://moxconstruction.com/images/i1.jpg
    http://moxconstruction.com/images/i8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Venice Contractor View Post
    After trying this for over an hour I gave up and simply cut my miters a 45’s “upside down and backwards” with a Hitachi slide mitersaw and installed the pieces with little problem. Yes, the purists will say you can’t do it . The only thing I found is that the moldings sit at different pitches of the walls as they do from the ceilings.
    The easiest way to do away with the intricate corner cuts is to install corner blocks and dead-end the diagonal and horizontal runs into them. I've never tried the transition pieces before, so I can't say how easy it is to cut them, however as with all crown cuts, the easiest thing to do is to cut sample blocks of both inside and outside corners and mark them as to what they are. When you work your way into and out of a corner, you merely have to note which cuts you need, then by putting the sample block into the saw, you can set the saw to the correct angle and will also know the correct orientation of the molding. It takes only a few minutes to cut the sample blocks and it will save you at least an hour's worth of head scratching and mis-cuts trying to figure things out.

Putting blocking in the transition area seems like the easiest way to me.

Thanks for tips!

Ken