+ Reply to Thread

Default Building a custom bedroom closet

We have a 3 bedroom home in Toronto, one is the master bedroom, my elder daughter stays in the second one and the twins have the third bedroom. The third bedroom is a little short on storage space and since we have to store both the twins things there we are planning to add custom bedroom closets from Space Age to their room. We can't change them to the bigger room because that one is upstairs.
    We have to build a custom closet because the room has an odd shape and it will be difficult to get a cupboard that fit's it's shape. So what kind of closet will be better suited for kids room. Walk-in or reach-in? Do come up with your suggestions.
    Last edited by AnneFl; 02-28-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Default Re: Building a custom bedroom closet

A walk in closet needs space to be effective, and you lose some space because of the new walls and of course the walking space.

With the tight space you have, according to what you describe, a thin walled closet, like the ones they sell at IKEA, is a better space saving solution IMHO.

I've bought some of those through the years, they come unassembled, with or without mirrored doors, and they can hold a lot of stuff.

Another idea is dressers, but it depends on your configuration limitations.

dj1, thanks for the reply. The men from Space Age came the other day and even they suggested the same. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

When space is tight, design is critical and future possibilities need careful consideration with 'permanent' construction techniques. Reach-in closets take less space, sliding or bi-fold doors can maximize access without impinging on the limited floorspace in the room. 1-3/4" metal studs can be used in the non-structural areas to gain a little more space. I've done several closets like thus by framing the door opening conventionally with wood, tying it in top and bottom, then walling the rest with the narrow studs and using 3/8" sheetrock to further save space. From the room side it looks conventional and any cost difference in building is very minimal. It's not a lot of space gained but when you're already tiny, every tiny bit helps.

BTW, I once lived comfortably with just 248 Sq.Ft. of actual floorspace by making sure the design was right before starting anything. I only made one mistake in not leaving enough area for the kitchen trash can; instead of measuring the one I'd planned on using I guessed. It was all finished when I discovered my mistake and at that point I wasn't going to re-do it; I'd been living in an unfinished home far too long already! Design well and all will be OK- and don't guess when you can measure!

Phil

You can the idea by visiting your friend's house that has similar shape with yours and steal the closet design idea. Or you can get ideas from the expert. Although it is not free of charge but you get the best idea.
    Never ignore smoke detector beeping. Find the fire first and save your family.