+ Reply to Thread

Default Paneling over Drywall,Paint or remove it?

We have dark paneling in our living room. My wife wants white walls. she asked me to paint over the paneling. I have done this in the past and not been happy with the results,my fear is that if i remove it i will end up having to replace the drywall. any suggestions?

Default Re: Paneling over Drywall,Paint or remove it?

It will depend on what type of house you have (stick frame, manufactured home ), and how the paneling is attached.

If it's a manufactured home, then the paneling will likely be the ONLY wall surface, meaning that there will be no drywall behind it. If it's a standard stick framed house then there will be drywall.

Paneling may be attached in a few ways, nails, glue, or both. If you're lucky, it will only be nailed, leaving the drywall behind in relatively decent shape. If there's glue then you can count on extensive damage to the drywall once the paneling is removed. You can either overlay the drywall with new 1/4" drywall or attempt to float out the damaged areas and retexture.

We can give more specifics as we know more about your house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It is a stick frame house, and i'm fairly certain it is attached with panel adheasive.I can't find any nails holding it up.

Then the latter half of my previous post would apply. With glue (and there's probably at least a few nails ), you'll have significant damage to the drywall surface. Most of the time this can be floated out with drywall topping compound, though if you prefer you could overlay, tape, and retexture new drywall which would give you a new surface rather than a refurbished old/damaged surface. The work will be about the same either way, floating will be the cheaper of the two.

Oh, and you're right, if you paint the paneling, it will look like painted paneling, so aesthetically, not really the best route.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, not looking forward to it. But the paint option just doesn't work for me.

Just make sure you sc**** the glue off the walls, really well. Don't worry about gouging the walls since you're putting 1/4" drywall over it. If you have any high spots of glue, the drywall is pretty thin and won't hide the spots that well. Low spots/gouges are OK but lumps aren't.

Good Luck.