+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wood decking

Default wood decking

Im currently in the process of building a new home and was curious about different types of materials that could be used for flooring on my farmers porch. As a child I grew up in an old home built in the 20s that had tonge and groove flooring on it's front porch.I'm not sure what type of wood it was but it seemed to hold up very well,even through some tough New England weather. However,through recent dicussions with friends, the whole idea has been shot down saying things like it will warp buckle twist etc. Whats your take on this.

Default Re: wood decking

Its likely that the porch floor on your childhood home was made of vertical grain douglas fir. It has been used forever on covered porches in the Northeast. You can still get it today. I'm not sure about the cost other than it isn't cheap. I would go with something that is 5/4 having your joists 12" on center wouldn't hurt either. since it is tongue and grove and there are no spaces between the boards you should have the decking run perpendicular to the house so any water on it can run off. Also the deck should slope about 1/8" per foot away from the house to let water run off as well.

There are other options such as T&G Ipe and cedar but the douglas fir is the more traditional approach. As far as the warping as long as it is nailed and glued down properly it should not be a problem especially if you use 5/4. Hope this helps you out.

I just finished my farmers porch and did it out of 5/4 Mahogany. It looks amazing and everyone who sees it wants their deck to be like this one. The key is to keep it freshly stained... I've only had it up since June, but it seems like it needs a fresh coat about every 2 months.