+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fence posts

Exclamation fence posts

i am about to install a privacy fence. I would like to set the posts on PVC or Vinyl "footings". I have seen them on various how to shows but I can't find them in any store or catalog. Can anyone help?

Default Re: fence posts

Are these it?
    http://www.academyfence.com/ozpost/

If so, I wouldn't recommend them. If it were for a repair of a single post, maybe, but not building a fence from them. First problem is that there is nothing to stabilize the post other than the 6" cup. You put a 5 ' or 6' post in it and the leverage advantage is tremendous (i.e. certain failure ). Second problem is that it will become brittle after a few years of exposure to the elements.

If you want a post that will last longer than you will, use a Postmaster. It is a steel post that is "U" shaped with large perforated flanges down either side. They are the thickness of a fence rail so that they will conveniently disappear once the fence boards are placed. Here is a description and installation guide.
    http://contractors.masterhalco.com/C...er-Install.pdf
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

No, the ones I saw were featured on a 2006 TOH remodel of a Boston 2 family recently aired. It was a PVC base that was placed into a prepared post hole. The PVC had what looked like a piece of rebar coming out the top. I am looking into your other suggestion using the post master but their distributor / retailer network is poor and I am waitng to hear back from a local retailer

Postmaster is only one manufacturer of that style of post. I bought mine at Home Depot for the same price as a redwood post. The place where I get my fencing carries another brand that is a little more expensive and heavy duty. I would recommend checking first at your local big box, and if they don't have them, go to a fencing supplier.

There are also companies that specialize in vinyl fencing. Locate one of those in your area, they may have the PVC base you're looking for or know where to get it. Regular fencing suppliers may as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!