+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 3 way dimmers. I'm feeling pretty dim.

Interesting overheating theory. Both the 3-way dimmers in question are each in their own individual box. They are both in a weird wall - it's a concrete wall that is fir'ed out with 2x2's. The box is a double-gang Carlon plastic shallow box (so it's only 1.5" deep) with a single-gang mud-ring on the front (i wanted enough room for the wires & dimmer). we used closed-cell spray foam insulation - in the walls - so it's pretty darn tight in there insulation-wise.

Brett, I'm confused. You say they are each in their own box and then you say it's a double gang box. Clarification please.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

it's a double-gang shallow plastic box with a double mudring that has just 1 switch slot centered in it.

see attached box.jpg:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	2480  

or better yet - here's a photo of the two offending dimmers in question. pre and post insulation.

oh - and to canuks comment, both of these 3-way switch circuits are on the same branch circuit. they are the only thing on this light circuit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxes.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	2481  
    Last edited by brettmarl; 05-23-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Solid state dimmers are notorious for the amount of heat they develop. It's possible that you are trapping to much of the heat and that is what is causing the failures ,although I would think the setup you have should work with the smaller loaded circuit. Suggest you contact the manufacturers tech support or try a different brand of dimmer.
    Jack

Here's one thought, I wonder if a metal mud ring would help dissipate the heat.
    Jack

jim - you're a funny man! i drywalled already and my patchup-mudding skills aren't worthy enough

But your skills improve with practice.
    Jack

true. today i got up at 5am to bbq a 10lb pork butt, did a huge dump run, baked cookies, poured concrete, installed a toilet, reglazed a door, picked out my 55" LCD TV for the basement project finale, and drank copious amounts of beer. not sure where i'm going to squeeze in all that extra mudding practice

I'm wondering is drilling a couple of holes in the bottom and top rim of the mud ring will help.