+ Reply to Thread

Default Evening out the texture in my walls...

Hi there! This is my first post, hopefully this will be of some help to me.

My husband and I bought a house last year that needs some TLC. Mostly just paint, the women who we bought it from did a terrible job. In our guest bedroom, we can only imagine this is what she did. She must have had a border of some kind in the middle of the room, because there is a wide strip all around the room that is completely smooth drywall. Now, I would love for the rest of the drywall to be that smooth, but I've heard that it's kind of a pain to get it that way. We believe the texture is the stuff that you put right into the paint. In our kitchen, we found green wallpaper behind the fridge when we replaced it. The texture comes right off with the paint when we tried to scrap it off of the wallpaper. That's another beast all together. Also, in the bathroom, some of the paint has chipped away and the bright blue underneath is totally smooth. She obviously didn't prime anything either. So, anyway...

My first question is - if this turns out to be the texture that gets mixed right in with the paint, is that pretty easy to get rid of?

The second is that if we can't get it off easily, how do I even out this wall? I believe it's a knock-down texture. In general, the texture is alright, we need to sand a few high points but that 6 inch strip of smooth looks really silly.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by jennibee; 05-20-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Default Re: Evening out the texture in my walls...

when was your house built? some texture has asbestos in it. are you wanting to remove texture or fill in the gap?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Well, if it's going to be a pain to remove the texture, I would like to fill in the gap with the same texture.

Also, my house is only 20 years old, so thankfully no chance of asbestos. The popcorn ceiling was put on 18 months ago. I don't know why anyone would want this ceiling in 2007.

I would recommend getting a pro, you can call your local home improvment store. to match the rest of the texture on the wall you are going to have to re-texture a wider area and try to blend the new with the old. there is quite an art to it.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

It should only cost around $100.00 or so to do one room.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Thanks for the advice. Our friend's Dad is a contractor and is going to help us out. At first I couldn't even figure out what kind of texture was on the wall. Turns out it's knockdown.

The fun part is going to be scraping all of the popcorn off of my ceiling. Wish me luck!