+ Reply to Thread

Default House has no cooling ... What Cooling System Should I use?

I have a cement-walled house, a small place (about 850 sq/ft) built in 1951. It has electric heating but no cooling system. Here in the Southwest folks tend to use evaporative cooling but I prefer chilled air condenser type cooling. I have only two rooms to cool (living room 23' x 11' and bedroom 17' x 13' ... ceiling heights are 8'). What cooling system would you recommend?

Here's a few photos and the floor plan (tried to posts photos but this website's loader didn't work)

Thanks ...

Default Re: House has no cooling ... What Cooling System Should I use?

I recommend 2 window air conditioners, if your current panel can accommodate them. BTW, do you gave natural gas in the house? I'm not a fan of electric heating.

Two window/wall a/c units will cost you a fraction of what a central a/c would, and most likely last longer.

Central a/c units are overloaded with tech garbage and break down a lot - everything to promote after the sale business. I love them and hate them at the same time, and I won't recommend them for a tiny house.

I have a tiny rental house like yours, which had a wall a/c and floor gas heater when I bought it. About 10 years ago I added a central unit and eliminated the floor furnace. Since then, the a/c and heating broke down 6 times, while the original wall unit, which must be 30-35 years old, is still going...And let me add that this central unit is not an isolated case.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I recommend 2 window air conditioners, if your current panel can accommodate them. BTW, do you gave natural gas in the house? I'm not a fan of electric heating.

Two window/wall a/c units will cost you a fraction of what a central a/c would, and most likely last longer.

Central a/c units are overloaded with tech garbage and break down a lot - everything to promote after the sale business. I love them and hate them at the same time, and I won't recommend them for a tiny house.

I have a tiny rental house like yours, which had a wall a/c and floor gas heater when I bought it. About 10 years ago I added a central unit and eliminated the floor furnace. Since then, the a/c and heating broke down 6 times, while the original wall unit, which must be 30-35 years old, is still going...And let me add that this central unit is not an isolated case.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, there's gas in the house (hot water heater & stove). Not sure though, where a gas furnace could be placed ... floor space is at a premium and how would it be ducted (the floor is a slab)?

You may want to look into "natural gas wall heater".

This is a highly efficient, no nonsense heater. 1 unit will warm our entire house for pennies. To install it, you'll need a plumber to run a gas line and a vent.

It's what folks used in the past, but it beats today hi tech furnaces.

One brand is Williams - less than $400.