+ Reply to Thread

Default LampPost Electrical

Hi,

I am new to TOH and look forward to using it as a resource more in the future.

My current question is this.

I received a Exterior Lamp Post for Christmas and now my wife wants to install it. I read the article previously posted for installation. I understand the electrical for some of the installation but not all.

Can someone give me instructions / options. What is the best way to tie the lamp post electrical into an existing interior light switch located at my backdoor?

Can I drill a hole through the foundation wall then through floor into the base plate of the exterior wall where the light switch is located and then connect it to the switch?

PLease help.

Default Re: LampPost Electrical

you can use pvc pipe (check for thickness code) run it from your trench against the exterior of your house high enough to reach the stud bay of your switch. drill through the siding into the bay,fish a wire up to the switch. you might consider installing a weather proof box on your pvc pipe. install a gfci receptacle, in line with your light. you wont have to dig such a deep trench. check with your building dept.

Thanks Sparky

I have to come up under my deck so I was hoping not to drill through this. Is is possible to go through my exterior wall into my floor joist location then through to the stud bay above?

Derrick

sure. on the interior wall(in the same stud space)you could cut in a single gang box ( for your gfi) and go up from there. The hole for the gfi should give you enough room to drill down through the bottom plate of your wall and reach the joist cavity. just a thought,mounting the gfi on the exterior wall can give you an extra outlet. the pvc can be painted or otherwise hiden. an extra gfi outlet on a deck can be a good thing