+ Reply to Thread

Default Hardwood floor mystery

A section of my hardwood floors had been cut in a straight line, as if to make a repair when I purchased the house. The cut edge had then severely buckled. Now pulling the hardwood floor off in that section, we find underneath are plywood subfloors and then a layer of concrete. The hardwood was cut in a straight line where a sheet of plywood had ended.
    The contractor wants to lay some moisture barrier then strips of wood on top of the concrete instead of a solid plywood to allow for moisture. He warns me that the floor will by spongy but also ensures me that the wood won't buckle.
    Please, any ideas, information, help...is he on the right track?

Default Re: Hardwood floor mystery

Your main concern should be the moisture barrier and the way it will be placed.

I will find out more details on that moisture barrier. Something black is all I remember. I will post and if you could please comment. We believe we found the source of the moisture, but he wants to take precaution. As he is not a floor expert, just a wood expert, I appreciate any expertise.

He will lay black paper on the concrete then some special product that goes on concrete (I don't even know if he knows yet what that product will be) on top of the black paper. The black paper will wrap around the product. Then my old hardwood floors laid with a few, just a few nails, into the concrete. New floors hardwood floors staggered in to fill the area. I believe he will be seeking advice but.....

I question your choice of help. Is it a money issue? is this man a relative or a friend?

Can you get an experienced floor guy? After all, this is YOUR floor.

Gosh no..not a money issue, not a relative. I had other GCs come thru showed them the patch, tried to bundle that with other work. Where I live if it's not a kitchen or bathroom, if the job is too small, complicated, they are just not interested. He is doing other wood refinishing at my house, so this small patch was just added on. Although he has laid hardwood floors, never on concrete. These are floors in the basement.

Yea some warning words here: "Although he has laid hardwood floors, never on concrete" so no experience doing what you are asking him to do, so that would be a red flag. I'm not saying that he is not qualified and could not do a good job, but being in buisness my rule is don't let someone learn on your time with your money on your property. I have no problem with apprentices they are under the supervision of an experienced supervisor, but I'd never let an inexperienced or ignorant person around a chainsaw or heavy equipment with no supervision in my business, why would I allow them to work on my house? Always look for liscensed, bonded, and insured contractors, sometimes you might be able to talk with building inspectors about prior work or find someone to give you an impartial opinion. Trust but verify all contractors...

Also, I would look for the root cause of the moisture, sounds like someone took a lot of effort to cover something up and level the floor in that spot, in a basement that could indicate a drain or a place where water accumulated and that buckeled your floor. So, my first priority would be to find out where the moisture is comming from, then address the issue at the source. Simply covering it up is bad mojo and will probably come back to haunt you when it buckles again. On concrete you need a vapor barrier no matter if you float it or nail it, so he got that right (that black barrier you talked about), but simply to put it under part of the floor would not do you any good, the water/moisture will simply migrate to another location. Look for the source, that will take some time and effort but if you find the source you can save yourself further issues. This is my opinion so this and $3.00 might buy you a cup of coffee.... :-)

I am agree with foresterpoole1 first you need to find the source of the moisture in your basement and try to stop that from causing damages to your floor. And if you want to remain with the concrete you should use lower sheen acylic based floor paint to maintain it.