+ Reply to Thread

Default Container Gardening - Jalapeno Plant

Last year I put the small Jalapeno plant I bought directly into a big container. It never did do very well. So I'd like some advice from anyone who has done container gardening.

I just got a small plant - about 5-6" high and of course it's in a small pot. Should I repot it now into something a little bigger, and just gradually move up to a large size where it will have room to grow and prosper? Is that the correct way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

p.s. also, can you put two plant in one container if it's big enough?

Default Re: Container Gardening - Jalapeno Plant

The reason your pepper plant didn't do well last year was probably due to a lack of nutrients, water, light, or a combination of those things, the size of the pot will have no effect on the growth of the plant, other than if it's too small and the plant becomes root bound.

The root ball on a Jalapeno is approximately 6" in diameter, so you'll want a pot that is at least twice that size so that there's plenty of room for nutrient rich soil. In addition to daily watering, you'll want to give it a drink of manure or compost tea once a week or every other week to keep the soil nutrient levels high and feed the plant as it grows. Peppers like full sun, except when extremely young and tender, in which case a temporary shade during mid day sun/heat would be advised.

Interestingly, peppers seem to like being grouped together. Last year, for the first time, we planted ours in groups of three, spaced about 6" apart, in a circular fashion. These plants were nearly double in size of previous efforts where a single plant was placed in the hole. Of course, in your case with container gardening, you'll need a much larger pot to house three peppers. Remember, the root ball of each plant will be approximately 6" in diameter and at full maturity, you can expect the plants to be 18" to 24" in diameter and up to 36" tall. We also use tomato cages around ours to keep them upright as they get larger and loaded with fruit.

Watering note: If your soil doesn't retain moisture well, then you'll have to increase your watering cycles - meaning water more times per day. Conversely, if your soil has low perkability - retains high levels of moisture - then water less. You want to keep the soil moist, but not water logged. In high temperatures all plants do well with a cool drink during the heat of the day.

Manure or Compost tea: In a 5 gallon bucket, fill the bucket to about the 1/4 full level, then top off with clean water. Let sit 8 to 12 hours, then pour off the resulting liquid to feed/water your plants. This will give the plants regular vital nutrients and organism that promote healthy, happy, high producing plants and soil. The remnants of the manure/compost can be put into the compost pile, spread on the lawn, or worked into the flowerbeds.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

No - it got plenty of water, sun and nutrients, as did all my container plants - I had a cherry tomato plant that produced so much fruit it was miraculous!

It sounds like you're saying I can go ahead and put it in the container I want it to end up in, even though the plant is new and small, correct? I always thought it was best to keep repotting, not sure why - guess I was thinking of house plants.

I've done more in-ground gardening than container gardening, so I'm still learning how best to go about it - it's good to know about the size of the root ball. I'm going to try at least 2 plants in a big pot then, and see how that works.

I don't have a compost pile - there are too many wild animals and no room where I live in Colorado to have something like that outside. The bears would have a field day. Manure I can get though, and I will give your "tea" a try.

If anyone else has any more suggestions ... I'm all ears.

p.s. So can you tell me what is a good depth for a pepper pot?
    Last edited by mtngigi; 05-18-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: extra question

Jalapeno plants like hot weather... they don't even think about going until it hits 80 in the daytime and will quickly began to die off when nighttime temps dip into the upper 60's. I grow them from seed every year by just directly planting the seeds in the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    It sounds like you're saying I can go ahead and put it in the container I want it to end up in, even though the plant is new and small, correct? I always thought it was best to keep repotting, not sure why - guess I was thinking of house plants.
    Vegetables don't like being handled like that, it stresses the plant when it should be growing and producing fruit instead of concerning itself with basic survival.

p.s. So can you tell me what is a good depth for a pepper pot?
    I would use something that is around 8" to 12" deep. That would give the roots plenty of room to grow as well as enough soil to hold moisture and nutrients.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What are the experts thoughts on using Miracle Gro for containers rather than "tea"? I don't have a place for either manure or compost.

How big of a pot did you use for your cherry tomatos, mtngigi?

It could be that if you are in the CO foothills or higher temp may be an issue for the peppers as libcarp pointed out.

I personally don't use the stuff.

Most of the commercial fertilizers are produced from chemical or petroleum based products, not something we choose to put on our food crops. Natural is better for the plant, the environment, and your body.

I used a large wooden box that stands about 18" ft. high and is 18" square - I just put the one tomato plant in it .... it did really well and produced a lot of fruit for a long time. I get major eastern and southern exposure in my front yard. I'm hoping to get the same results with the pepper plant.

I'm in the Pikes Peak region ... hot, high and dry. I have no soil but rather I use lots of containers, pots, boxes, etc. - which makes way more sense for the climate I live in. So I can't put pepper plants in the ground - or any other vegetable for that matter. The house I bought came with a plastic-lined, rock-covered small front yard, and that's how I'm keeping it. It looks great in the summer when I've planted all my flowers. I did manage to dig out and put a small dirt garden in front of my porch, and I've planted perennials and hollyhock there. I also have some nice irises that come up through the plastic along the front of the yard. They do fine there.

Developers here landscape their homes with Kentucky Bluegrass ... which is absurd. Most of the time we are in drought situation with watering restrictions - it just doesn't make sense.

I use combinations of plant food: Miracle Gro, The water I boil eggs in, epsom salt and manure. I always find someone on Craigslist from whom I can get a little manure to mix in with my potting soil and that pretty much does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    What are the experts thoughts on using Miracle Gro for containers rather than "tea"? I don't have a place for either manure or compost.

How big of a pot did you use for your cherry tomatos, mtngigi?

It could be that if you are in the CO foothills or higher temp may be an issue for the peppers as libcarp pointed out.

I used a large wooden box that stands about 18" ft. high and is 18" square - I just put the one tomato plant in it .... it did really well and produced a lot of fruit for a long time. I get major eastern and southern exposure in my front yard. I'm hoping to get the same results with the pepper plant.

I'm in the Pikes Peak region ... hot, high and dry. I have no soil but rather I use lots of containers, pots, boxes, etc. - which makes way more sense for the climate I live in. So I can't put pepper plants in the ground - or any other vegetable for that matter. The house I bought came with a plastic-lined, rock-covered small front yard, and that's how I'm keeping it. It looks great in the summer when I've planted all my flowers. I did manage to dig out and put a small dirt garden in front of my porch, and I've planted perennials and hollyhock there. I also have some nice irises that come up through the plastic along the front of the yard. They do fine there.

Developers here landscape their homes with Kentucky Bluegrass ... which is absurd. Most of the time we are in drought situation with watering restrictions - it just doesn't make sense.

I use combinations of plant food: Miracle Gro, The water I boil eggs in, epsom salt and manure. I always find someone on Craigslist from whom I can get a little manure to mix in with my potting soil and that pretty much does the trick.
    Ah...... I am north of you in Douglas County... Day Lillies do very well here too.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Ah...... I am north of you in Douglas County... Day Lillies do very well here too.
    Can you tell me what kind of day lillies? I am familiar with them, but I imagine there are many varieties?

The irises I have were already here when I bought the house and I know absolutely nothing about planting bulbs, so any and all info you'd like to share with me would be greatly appreciated - I've always been a little afraid of trying to plant bulbs!