+ Reply to Thread

Default Old floor tile 9X9 how do I seal it?

I just bought a older home that has 9X9 tile in the basement I need to seal over it with something so I can tile over it or carpet over it dose anyone have anything that could help.

Default Re: Old floor tile 9X9 how do I seal it?

Is the tile ceramic or vinyl type tile? I'm going to assume vinyl and if that's the case, you should assume it contains asbestos. Encapsulation is the best course, unless you can afford its proper removal and disposal.

Carpet and tile are two completely different products and may require completely different preparation before installation. A lot depends on the condition of the substrate. If the existing tile is loose or crumbling, you should install an underlayment over it before proceeding with any flooring product. Depending on the finish material, a Self-Leveling Concrete (SLC) may be sufficient. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the product you choose.

Carpet can be installed in several different ways. Some can be loose-laid, some glued, but most often, broadloom materials will need to be stretched properly, which requires the use of a tackless strip around the perimeter and a cushion. If your substrate is not solid and firm, you may have trouble nailing or adhering the tackless. Another option would be carpet tile, which can be laid with an adhesive.

More information from you would help.

R'gards,

Jim

I have a similar problem. I removed the 9x9 tiles and have old black mastic covering the plywood sub-floor. Is it ok to put wall to wall carpeting directly over the mastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    I have a similar problem. I removed the 9x9 tiles and have old black mastic covering the plywood sub-floor. Is it ok to put wall to wall carpeting directly over the mastic?
    It's been my experience that old vinyl tile adhesive of just about any kind is never quite dry. It's possible for the adhesive to wick through cushion and carpet to stain the surface of the carpet. It might take a very long time, or it could happen well before you are ready for new carpet.

My advice would be to encapsulate. That could take the form of something like a latex sealer or even as much as a membrane applied and new plywood installed over it before the carpet. Without knowing just what the "mastic" was, that's as good advice as I can offer. It's possible that other flooring professionals would have better or alternative advice at www.thefloorpro.com/community/

R'gards,

Jim