+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking For An Easy Upgrade on Firplace

My fiance and I just bought a house that was built in the 60's. I am not a big fan of the stone around the fireplace because it is faded and there is mortar on the some of the stones. The stone that is around the fireplace is natural stone and even though I am not a big fan of it, I don't want to tear it out. I am hoping that someone might have an easy upgrade solution. If anyone has any idea on how to clean the mortar off of the stone, and maybe something that would bring back some of the colors of the stone. Or maybe if anyone knows of something that can be added to the stone to make it look darker.
    Last edited by RausAbb; 09-05-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Default Re: Looking For An Easy Upgrade on Firplace

A chisel, some water and a lot of elbow grease does the job for me - but it's mostly on exterior bricks. Yours can be a little trickier.

Another option is to put a facade over the existing stones. And there are so many to choose from. Why don't you find a fireplace store for some examples and advice?

There is a Fireplace Galore near me, which carries all kinds of them. I think it's a national chain.

I talked to my local fireplace store, they don't really think there is much that I can do. I have been trying to upload a photo of the fireplace, but am having no luck. I can't put anything over the top. Some of the stones stick out further than others. It's stone from either late 50s early 60s. And we tried scrubbing the stone, but there is still some mortar left.

You can post pictures by first uploading them to a free photo sharing site like Photobucket and them posting the image link on here or you can e-mail them to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com and I'll post the for you. Include TOH pix in the subject line and include your TOH user name or a link to this thread.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Ab...show/Fireplace

I am hoping that works, but that is my fireplace.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-12-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: to correct link

I can't insert a link. It doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

An easier avenue is: post the pics up on a host like photobucket.com and then send us the link.

BTW, we suggest this at least 20 times a week with various posters, but hey, we see no pics.

I have removed the duplicate posts, approved the first with a link, and corrected the link.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I re-tiled our fireplace a while back. It was mildly challenging and took about three hours total.

Here is a link to a post of mine that shows some before & after and during images with some description of how it went. We are pretty pleased how it turned out.
    Randy Tibbetts
    Hidden Content