+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too Many Wires to Hook Up Ceiling Fan?

I have 2 switches to control the light and fan individually. All of the instructions I see on line are to connect white to white, black to black/blue and green to green. My problem is that I have green, black, white and brown wires coming out of the ceiling. I have connected the greens/ground. Connected the whites and the blacks. The fan and light will not work individually. There is that 1 brown wire coming out of the ceiling that I don't know what to do with. None of the instructions ****** mention the brown wire. I've heard mention of a red wire, but don't ave that. Any instructions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    "The American people are slow to wrath, but when their wrath is once kindled, it burns like a consuming flame." ~Teddy Roosevelt~

Default Re: Too Many Wires to Hook Up Ceiling Fan?

I just double checked with a flashlight and it maybe is a dark red or something similar.
    "The American people are slow to wrath, but when their wrath is once kindled, it burns like a consuming flame." ~Teddy Roosevelt~

It's unclear if there was a ceiling fan there before and you are replacing with a new one ?

If the 2 switches are side by side on the wall you might be able to remove the cover plate to see if one switch has a black wire and the other has the red ( brown ) attached.

If the wires in the ceiling box are as you mentioned .... with no others ... and the switches are wired as mentioned then .....

fan white is connected to the white in the ceiling box.

fan green to green in ceiling box

fan black to black in ceiling box .... or fan black to red ( brown ) in ceiling box ( doesn't matter which one )

fan blue to red ( brown ) in ceiling box. .... or fan blue to black in ceiling box ( doesn't matter which one )

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

As Canuk says, chances are white is common and goes to white on fan, black is power from one switch and goes to black on fan, red is power from second switch and goes to blue on fan.

These are just guesses without knowing what is connected to the switches.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    As Canuk says, chances are white is common and goes to white on fan, black is power from one switch and goes to black on fan, red is power from second switch and goes to blue on fan.

These are just guesses without knowing what is connected to the switches.
    Jack
    Yep .... as Jack says.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thank you all very much. After posting here I did just as you suggested and was able to successfully connect it so that it works off the two switches.

Glad we could help and I love your signature.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you. I like yours too.

How one can be a long time dead and yet still help others has been the long time enigma with Jack..............

I'm assuming that's an inside joke.