+ Reply to Thread

Question Pedestal sink problem

I'm installing a pedestal sink and come across a problem with the 2 pieces. The floor is level...the wall is plumb...but when I dry fit the 2 together and slide it into to place there is about a 1/2in gap between the top back edge of the sink and the wall. If I rock the sink back so it's flush against the wall... then I get a gap between the bottom of the sink and the top of the pedestal. I'm starting to think I have the correct sink but the pedestal isn't the matching piece to the set since everything is level. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Pedestal sink problem

Take a level to the wall, the floor, check the support on the pedestal and the top of the sink.

Betting you have an unlevel floor or a bow in the wall and that the pedestal and sink are within tolerance.

Most pedestal sinks are wall mount with the pedestals providing little support.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Most pedestal sinks are wall mount with the pedestals providing little support.
    Jack

Man! The guy is smart! Just checked mine and he is right as rain!........ (I hate plumbing stuff.)

I checked the wall and the floor...both are ok. You mentioned the sink is wall mounted with little support. I was thinking about attaching just the sink "without" the pedestal... there are 2 holes on each end plus a steel mounting bracket for the center. I have 3 mounting points. Has anyone ever tried this? Thought if someone leans too much on the edge..the thing would break without pedestal support.

Some can be mounted without the pedestal. It depends on the weight of the cast porcelain. You can check with the manufacturer to see if you unit can be mounted that way. Most pedestals fit in an indentation in the bottom of the sink bottom so spacers can be installed and not seen.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The metal bracket is what holds the sink to the wall. The other holes are for securing it in place, but shouldn't be considered "structural."
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.