+ Reply to Thread

Default Home Improvement Stores Will Not Install Fiberglass Door into Metal Frame

A new fiberglass entry door is needed in my elderly sister's cinder block home that has a metal door frame. Upon choosing a double door replacement from one of the well known home improvement stores, we learned they will not install a residential door into a metal frame. Also her doors swing out and she would like to keep them that way.
    I would like to know if a fiberglass door can be installed into a metal frame. Should we try to locate a commercial installer? She would have to find someone in a large city 70 miles from her small town that does this kind of work, hoping they will travel that far and their trip charge would be reasonable. Any suggestions or ideas?

Default Re: Home Improvement Stores Will Not Install Fiberglass Door into Metal Frame

I can't see any problem with this. I believe that they just don't like dealing with metal frames set into masonry because it does not allow much 'tweaking for fit' and they lack the somewhat specialized knowledge on how to do that. Now if the frame is badly set (not likely) this may not be an easy job but it is very do-able and quite frankly the type of door I'd choose for your application too. Check with a commercial door installer- they will know the tricks and do this for you.

Phil

Default Re: Home Improvement Stores Will Not Install Fiberglass Door into Metal Frame

Thanks so much. Will give that a try.

In my experience, most installers home improvement stores are semi pros. They like quick and easy jobs like pre hung doors and many do not have the expertise to measure and mortise door for existing hinges.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your input. Hadn't thought of that.

Jack, in my experience that statement covers all of them, save for those who are even worse. Those positions pay little in comparison to the average job, and even the most experienced and hard-working guys can't earn a good living doing it this way- I know a few who tried. Subbing from a big-box is a bottom-of-the-barrel job you take only when you have no other choice It all goes back to my adage: "You won't get what you don't pay for".

It's good for the stores and convenient for the customer and it's usually enough, even if barely so. But times like the OP is having show the flaws in the system- you've got only unknowledgeable or unwilling people involved so the answer from them will always be "No"- but they will happily sell you the door anyway!

Phil