+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there an adapter to make a 220v outlet into 110?

I want to preserve the 220v, but need a 110v outlet for a gas stove. Is there a way to do this?

Default Re: Is there an adapter to make a 220v outlet into 110?

If it is a 4 prong outlet than an extension cord with fuse to plug in and get 120 volts on the other end is possible or a 120 volt outlet can be tapped off the 240 volt outlet however the breaker would need to be changed to the 120 v amperage rating.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Another possibility would be to tap into the existing kitchen outlet circuit if it has enough capacity and the wiring is easily accessible (crawlspace under kitchen). That connection needs to be made in a box with a cover and a "remodel" (aka "old work" or "rework") box is an easy install in the drywall behind the stove. Do NOT just 'tap in' to the 240 receptacle as is, like JL says that is unsafe without changing the breaker too.

Phil

Gas oven uses very little power, just to power the light, clock, circuit board, igniters, etc. so tapping into an existing 120 circuit is possible, UNLESS it's a dedicated circuit.

It can be done, but it should not be done. The wiring to the 220v should be an insulated black wire, and insulated red wire and a bare ground wire. Without a dedicated white insulated wire, you should not convert it to a 110v outlet or attach a 110v outlet next to it and daisy chained off it. It would not be to code.

If it is a 4 wire circuit, red, black, white and bare, it can be done if the the 220v is not needed. You would have to remove the red wire at the circuit breaker so that it is a dead wire, then replace the 220 outlet with a 110 using the black, white and bare wires.

While in theory, you could attach a 110v circuit to the 220 if the 220 is a 4 wire, and the 110 has a very little load, in practice you cannot guarantee that someone won't eventually plug in a heavy load into the 110v receptacle. Thats why codes won't allow it and if you do, and your house burns down, your insurance company could deny your claim.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Will call an electrician after Labor Day!

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    It can be done, but it should not be done. The wiring to the 220v should be an insulated black wire, and insulated red wire and a bare ground wire. Without a dedicated white insulated wire, you should not convert it to a 110v outlet or attach a 110v outlet next to it and daisy chained off it. It would not be to code.

If it is a 4 wire circuit, red, black, white and bare, it can be done if the the 220v is not needed. You would have to remove the red wire at the circuit breaker so that it is a dead wire, then replace the 220 outlet with a 110 using the black, white and bare wires.

While in theory, you could attach a 110v circuit to the 220 if the 220 is a 4 wire, and the 110 has a very little load, in practice you cannot guarantee that someone won't eventually plug in a heavy load into the 110v receptacle. Thats why codes won't allow it and if you do, and your house burns down, your insurance company could deny your claim.
    Keith I have never seen a 240 stove outlet that didn't have the neutral to supply 120 to the lights and clocks. Also,if you noticed I specified an extension cord with fuse that way a heavy load can not be plugged into it an also stated that the breaker would need to be changed if a 120 outlet was tapped off of it.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    I want to preserve the 220v, but need a 110v outlet for a gas stove. Is there a way to do this?
    Queen, what you're asking is actually quite common but I've never seen an adapter.

There is nothing wrong with using the the existing wire to feed a 15A or 20A receptacle if it is 4 wire and is copper,
    but would require changing out the large 2 pole breaker with a 15A or 20A AFCI single pole breaker, per 2014 Code. And, if the receptacle is within 6 feet of the sink must also be protected by a readily accessible GFCI device.

So, you're correct in calling in an electrician.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Keith I have never seen a 240 stove outlet that didn't have the neutral to supply 120 to the lights and clocks. Also,if you noticed I specified an extension cord with fuse that way a heavy load can not be plugged into it an also stated that the breaker would need to be changed if a 120 outlet was tapped off of it.

Jack
    I wasn't attacking your idea. It is theoretically possible, I think getting the hardware to do that maybe difficult. You have to isolate that red lead inside some type of protected assembly. You would have to find a female 110v extension cord end that you could fit all 4 wires in with the red lead protected and insulated separately. If you know of such an animal, OK.

To me, I think the OP just wants to preserve the 220 even though it is not needed at this time, but needs 110 in that area. The simple thing is to disconnect the red wire at the breaker box and then swap the 220 outlet for a 110 receptacle. Since the half of the dual breaker that the red wire was attached to will not be used, I really don't see any reason to swap it out, unless it is a local code thing.

If the OP went back to an electric stove and needed to revert back to 220, it would be simple to hook the red back up and install the 220v receptacle.

What I was really trying to get at was that daisy chaining a 110 off the 220 and using both at the same time is not a good idea no matter how you do it. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I wasn't attacking your idea. It is theoretically possible, I think getting the hardware to do that maybe difficult. You have to isolate that red lead inside some type of protected assembly. You would have to find a female 110v extension cord end that you could fit all 4 wires in with the red lead protected and insulated separately. If you know of such an animal, OK.

To me, I think the OP just wants to preserve the 220 even though it is not needed at this time, but needs 110 in that area. The simple thing is to disconnect the red wire at the breaker box and then swap the 220 outlet for a 110 receptacle. Since the half of the dual breaker that the red wire was attached to will not be used, I really don't see any reason to swap it out, unless it is a local code thing.

If the OP went back to an electric stove and needed to revert back to 220, it would be simple to hook the red back up and install the 220v receptacle.

What I was really trying to get at was that daisy chaining a 110 off the 220 and using both at the same time is not a good idea no matter how you do it. IMO
    Keith, every 240 stove outlet that I have seen has either been 30 amp or 40 amp, leaving that size breaker in place even with the red wire disconnected would violate code.

Getting a stove plug and connecting a fused extension cord with a 20 or 15 amp receptacle on the end would provide what the OP had ask for and still provide the necessary protection.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-31-2014 at 11:28 PM.