+ Reply to Thread

Default Hardwood floor ice cold where previous owners removed wall w/AC vent

Cheers all,

We bought a split entry home that was partially remodeled by some not-so-handy DIY'ers. We have now spent upwards of 20K fixing their hidden mistakes (and that's not even the cosmetic issues we actually PLANNED to fix!)

This house is a lemon.

But the one problem that's been kind of bugging me the most is regarding our A/C. The upper (main) level does not cool easily and the farthest bedroom is hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. We have attributed the heating/cooling issues to poor attic ventilation (just a guess, really), the notion that heat rises so the top floor would obviously be warmer, and when I did ask an HVAC professional, he mentioned there might not be enough force to get heat or AC to the farthest bedroom. But seriously, we have lived in hotter climates with higher floors and never had such trouble with an HVAC keeping the temp comfortable. There is a noticeable 10 degree difference between our first and second floors.

But here's the kicker. When the previous owners removed a wall to make the living, dining rooms and kitchen one big open space, I'm not sure they sealed the duct vent that was on the wall before laying down hardwood floors. There is a spot on the floor that gets super cold when the A/C is on. I loathe the idea of tearing up the floors to check, so I wanted to get some thoughts from all you experts

If this is the case and the air is flowing freely under the floorboards, it would likely explain the difficulty keeping this floor comfortable. Or am I completely off base?

Default Re: Hardwood floor ice cold where previous owners removed wall w/AC vent

There's no such a thing as a lemon house. Everything in a house can be fixed.

Your theory is entirely possible. Do you have an access to the area from a ceiling below?

Default Re: Hardwood floor ice cold where previous owners removed wall w/AC vent

Ahhh, yes. I'm sure everything CAN be fixed. It's just a matter of the time and money to do it! We're a military family and we've already had to put more into this house than is worth the time we will spend living in it

Yes, it appears I may have access to the duct in question through the ceiling of a downstairs closet.

Yeah it sounds like they took yet another shortcut. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some dampening of the wood on the underside due to condensation. That's just a guess.

Yes I have seen houses that are surely lemons and would be cheaper to knock down and start over.