+ Reply to Thread

Question Long Distance Moving Ideas

My household will likely be moving long distance, from one state to another.

As we are not taking most of our furniture, but do have a lot of books, I've been trying to brainstorm and research the possibilities for us to get our stuff from Point A to Point B. Our car is small and cannot haul anything, but needs to be at the end destination itself. Here are some of the ideas:

• Full Service / Traditional Move, with us driving our car -- This seems like it would be cost prohibitive as we aren't moving any furniture (or very little)
    • Companies who haul belongings on semi-trailers, where you pay by the foot, with us driving our car
    • Companies with pods or crates, who haul them for you, with us driving our car -- One problem is that many of the companies do not offer pods for the destination
    • USPS media mail for books
    • Renting a moving truck, towing our car behind it -- U-Haul has a terrible reputation and Penske doesn't have a drop-off location near our destination
    • Renting an RV with room for most of our stuff, towing our car behind it
    • Air freight -- I'm not sure how to look into this

As I've never moved like this before, I am sure there are options I have not thought of. Does anyone have any other ideas, comments on the ideas I've posted, or any other recommendations? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Long Distance Moving Ideas

What's your main goal?

To move for less money?

To move with the least amount of work?

To move in the shortest time?

You get the point...

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What's your main goal?

To move for less money?

You get the point...
    Exactly! There is a method for every pocket book. Today's rental vehicles are extremely easy to drive, even for someone who has never driven a larger vehicle before. IMHO, if there are two of you, towing the vehicle is senseless, as it will decrease gas mileage of the moving truck, and cost you additionally for the trailer to haul the vehicle. If you drive it, you are only out the gas money for the trip, which will be far less than renting the trailer and feeding the truck to tow it.

What is the reputation you have heard about U-Haul? Just curious.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Use Goodwill moving services.

Before you leave, take all your junk to the nearest Goodwill donation center.

When you arrive at your destination, go to the nearest Goodwill retail store, pay the moving fees, and reclaim your junk.

The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Good idea on media mailing the books- it may be more economical but the USPS may have restrictions on the amount you can ship over a given time-frame so call them. I like U-haul/Penske- they're popular for a reason, just be sure to have insurance coverage for accidental damages- your existing car policy may already have that covered, it's expensive if you buy it with the truck rental. Buy the least you can with them-their usage and equipment rental fees are where they make their money.

The cheapest way to move bulk is shipping truck freight to a freight terminal. You have to pallet or box to their specs so their forklifts can handle it, take it to their local terminal (some have a pick-up service), and you have to pick up at their destination terminal where they will load it on your vehicle for you with a forklift. You can't uncrate and repack there. Prices for truck freight shipping are based on bulk and weight. They're not known for being gentle, just economical!

Move as little as you can, many things cost more to move than to replace (I think that's what Fencepost is suggesting). Keep irreplaceable items with you but also know that crooks watch hotels for opportunities if you stop overnight- they know you won't be there to pick them out of a lineup later on. Make sure your vehicle is up to the extra work if you load it up with stuff. Make sure that the stuff you carry is insured too- you may need an extra policy for that, most car insurance isn't enough.

Or take the easy way out- a phone call, a signature, a payment, then hop in your car and go as someone else takes care of everything else. Take close-up pics of everything if you do this, these guys are pros but will argue any damages if you have no proof. Costly but super-easy and they put your stuff where you want it in the new home so it's as effortless as moving gets.

If you've got lots of stuff to leave behind, your local Goodwill or Salvation Army may have a pick-up service and will give you a receipt for the donation which you can write off on your taxes. It will be for what they value it at, not you, but it's easy and usually worth doing to save the hassle. They won't take trash or junk but will take the rest.

I hate moving more than anything else in the whole wide world since I always do it the cheap way which means lots of work and too many decisions on what stays and what goes.
    Phil

This is why I always start the moving process by renting a dumpster and having a yard sale.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What's your main goal?

To move for less money?

You get the point...
    The point of my post was to see if there were ways to move and issues I had not thought of. I'm weighing the costs with doing less work. The amount of time it takes the stuff to get there isn't that important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Good idea on media mailing the books- it may be more economical but the USPS may have restrictions on the amount you can ship over a given time-frame so call them. I like U-haul/Penske- they're popular for a reason, just be sure to have insurance coverage for accidental damages- your existing car policy may already have that covered, it's expensive if you buy it with the truck rental. Buy the least you can with them-their usage and equipment rental fees are where they make their money.

The cheapest way to move bulk is shipping truck freight to a freight terminal. You have to pallet or box to their specs so their forklifts can handle it, take it to their local terminal (some have a pick-up service), and you have to pick up at their destination terminal where they will load it on your vehicle for you with a forklift. You can't uncrate and repack there. Prices for truck freight shipping are based on bulk and weight. They're not known for being gentle, just economical!

Move as little as you can, many things cost more to move than to replace (I think that's what Fencepost is suggesting). Keep irreplaceable items with you but also know that crooks watch hotels for opportunities if you stop overnight- they know you won't be there to pick them out of a lineup later on. Make sure your vehicle is up to the extra work if you load it up with stuff. Make sure that the stuff you carry is insured too- you may need an extra policy for that, most car insurance isn't enough.

Or take the easy way out- a phone call, a signature, a payment, then hop in your car and go as someone else takes care of everything else. Take close-up pics of everything if you do this, these guys are pros but will argue any damages if you have no proof. Costly but super-easy and they put your stuff where you want it in the new home so it's as effortless as moving gets.

If you've got lots of stuff to leave behind, your local Goodwill or Salvation Army may have a pick-up service and will give you a receipt for the donation which you can write off on your taxes. It will be for what they value it at, not you, but it's easy and usually worth doing to save the hassle. They won't take trash or junk but will take the rest.

I hate moving more than anything else in the whole wide world since I always do it the cheap way which means lots of work and too many decisions on what stays and what goes.
    Phil
    Thank you for your helpful response. I hadn't thought to call USPS and see what the restrictions are. I am sure they would find it irritating, at least, if we were to bring in 30 boxes of media mail at one time!

The freight companies seem like a good option and I also did find a regular moving company who ships all their long distance moves as if they were going overseas (it's all crated and not loose.) There are some freight companies who will leave a trailer for you to pack your stuff in, with them then hauling it off.

I do plan to have Goodwill or Salvation Army pick up what they want, with a junk hauler hauling off the rest that no one wants. I am really worried about the security if we do haul it ourselves, when we have to park overnight. I'm thinking that maybe a small bed and breakfast in a more residential-type neighborhood might be safer than a large hotel, near a lot of other large hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    What is the reputation you have heard about U-Haul? Just curious.
    For instance, I read where one person had not one, but two, vehicles break down, having to load and unload again and again... Then there's the people who show up after making a reservation to find the reserved vehicle isn't there. Of course, I realize that every review must be taken with a grain of salt! There just seem to be a lot more negative opinions about U-Haul. It didn't help that when I called, I got someone who didn't know as much as someone who answers their 800 number should know.

The thing about U-Haul is that most of the outlets are franchises. In fact, I'm not sure there are any company-owned outlets, but there might be. If there is one near you, that might be a safer bet than "Joe's corner store and U-Haul" for getting a reliable truck and having it there when they said it would be.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.