+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice on new construction windows by Simonton

Hello,
    I'm interested in feedback on a quote of $6,800 for 22 windows/16 total units of new construction windows only. The labor cost to install these window will be discussed this weekend. I''m also having the fiberboard sheathing removed, replaced with OSB and new siding. Is it normal for a new construction window to cost approximately $300 each?

Default Re: Advice on new construction windows by Simonton

Window prices depend on sizes, quality and material used. Some could be more than $300, some could be around $300 and some could even be less.

When it comes to window installation, the installation is more important than the windows...

It's better to have a so so window installed right, than a top of the line window installed wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Window prices depend on sizes, quality and material used. Some could be more than $300, some could be around $300 and some could even be less.

When it comes to window installation, the installation is more important than the windows...

It's better to have a so so window installed right, than a top of the line window installed wrong.
    " Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with your concept. My windows are basic standard double hung windows, sizes like 37" x 56", 28 x 63" and twin double hung 58" x 47" for $548. These are Simonton 600 white Profinish Brick moulding Low E argon ddbl glazed, reg strength.

To make sure you're estimate is not off base, call 2 or 3 other window installers. I don't think your window prices are too high.

There are many micro window builders around, who might be willing to take less but not compromise on quality. You will have to do your market research.

Ditto with dj1, make sure they're installed correctly. Read the installation instructions yourself and tell the contractors bidding that this is how you want it done. Get several estimates but in most places the quoted price is in line with a first-class install job, and that quality isn't found in cheaper pricing.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Ditto with dj1, make sure they're installed correctly. Read the installation instructions yourself and tell the contractors bidding that this is how you want it done. Get several estimates but in most places the quoted price is in line with a first-class install job, and that quality isn't found in cheaper pricing.

Phil
    " Thanks for the info. Initially, I started with a whole house quote for "replacement windows, vinyl siding, wood wrap, gutters...etc for $27k, another company same thing 25K (replacement windows only,installed about 7 or 8K). I decided to add two windows, new rough openings and a co-worker suggested that I look into new construction windows. In his opinion they are a better choice because they don't need to be wrapped and will seal better. So, I don't actually have a labor cost to install the Simonton windows yet. only downfall is removing and replacing (reinstalling) interior wood trim."

To be honest with you, I prefer new construction window better too.

If you want to add new windows, the interior trim should be your last worry. First you will need to frame to make a rough opening for the new windows. Install the windows and flashing, finish the exterior and interior. Get a good framer to do this job, I can't stress this enough, it's all about the proper installation.

Replacement windows can be good but an equal-quality new construction type will be much better in every way. Since that will be easily integrated with the other work that's the best way to go.

Most of us strive to do good work and do things right, but it never hurts to know for yourself how things are supposed to be done so with any products you will be using here, take the time to see what the manufacturer says and be sure the work is being done that way. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised to see that it is, but if it isn't you'll not be discovering that far down the road when correcting that will have to be paid for by you. Never hesitate to ask questions- most of us appreciate someone who wants to know about what we're doing and why!

Phil