+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Noisy bathroom fan

Depends on the noise.

If it's a fairly smooth RRRRRRRR then it's probably air turbulence due to the impeller and housing design. There isn't much you can do to quiet this short of replacing the entire unit: housing, motor, impeller, and all. Completely cleaning the dust can help quiet it down a little bit. Sometimes you can put some rubber tape between parts of the housing to reduce vibration noise.

If it's a rattle or a rumble, the bearings in the motor are shot. Replace the motor. Inspect the impeller, and if there is any cracking or broken fins replace it, too.

Bathroom fans shouldn't be too quiet. Sometimes you want to mask other noises. While you're at it, replace the switch with a countdown timer. Then you can leave the fan on for a few minutes clear the air when you're done, and it will automatically shut off.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If the mounting box binds in the hole or it is tweaked out of shape when the screws are tightened these can go from fairly quiet to migraine-causing in short order Take the cover off, loosen the mounting screws somewhat until it can move freely a little, then turn it on and see what happens. If it's quiet now all you have to do is figure out how and where to shim and/or how tight to make the mounting screws. This is a very common problem and is often caused by someone screwing through the side of the 'box' to mount it where this was not intended as an installation shortcut. I've quietened many of these down through this method

Phil

"If it's a rattle or a rumble, the bearings in the motor are shot. Replace the motor. Inspect the impeller, and if there is any cracking or broken fins replace it, too."

It sounds more like a rumble. My other bathroom vent fan is more quiet and sounds like "mmm" plus the air turbulence.

Does anyone know if the fans are interchangeable between different housings? I could maybe swap the two fans to rule out the problem.

Just replace the whole unit with a panasonic or a Broan.

My panasonic is so quiet I had to install a timer to turn itself off. I'd forget it was running. $120 at home depot

1. Install the new, quieter fan and motor assembly inside the existing fan housing.

2. Broan or Nautilus grille

Look at your fan's grille to determine the fan type. If it looks like this one, it's probably a Broan or a Nautilus.

3. NuTone grille

If the grille looks like this one, it's most likely a NuTone.