+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Noisy bathroom fan

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix a loud bathroom fan? I've tried taking apart the fan rotors, dusting and lubricating them. That didn't help much. Thanks.

Default Re: Noisy bathroom fan

There is probably too much end play in the motor shaft. You can install shims to take out some of the slack, but you have to be careful not to make things too tight. Also, there may be loose screws and brackets in the fan housing that are vibrating with the fan.

An electric motor shop will have shim, or you could find some ******, or, you could replace the motor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

lastly, some fans are just louder than others. fans range from very very noisy to almost silent. has it always been this loud or is it something that happened recently?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    lastly, some fans are just louder than others. fans range from very very noisy to almost silent. has it always been this loud or is it something that happened recently?
    It's always been this loud since I moved in 1.5 years ago. Nothing seemed broken when I took it apart.

my guess would be that you just have an inexpensive noisy fan. big box stores usually have a display of them and you can either read about how loud they are compared to each other or you can actually hear them.....there's a huge difference in noise and cfm between a $50 fan and a $150 fan

Bath fans are rated by SONES. 3 to 4 is average.

Yours is probably over that.

Panasonic fans are known to be below that - very quiet.

Is it easy for as a DIY to replace the whole fan then? What tools would I need?

You could try this 'upgrade kit'.
    http://www.broan.com/products/filter...a-d7f0212044e5

I bought one but haven't installed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by generic_home_owner View Post
    Is it easy for as a DIY to replace the whole fan then? What tools would I need?
    When you remove the old fan, you'll see the housing size. If you can find a good replacement fan that fits this size - then your installation is easy (6 out of 10, 10 being difficult).

Fan noise is rated in sones, fan capacity is rated in CFM. the ideal is the proper capacity for room size and use at the lowest possible noise level, for a price you will pay. A low-CFM/high sone fan is the cheapest on the shelf.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.