+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove shower bar and hinge from glass shower door..

I am trying to remove the shower bar brackets, I guess this is what you call them on a sliding shower glass door. The handles are a **** tone color. I was hoping to remove the hardware so I could paint them to update the look in the bathroom. The problem is there are screws to remove the bar but on both sides of the bar there are brackets that have no screw holes. I have no clue how to remove them, the hardware is only on outside of door. Not sure how to remove them without breaking the glass. Thank you for your help!!!

Default Re: How to remove shower bar and hinge from glass shower door..

Usually, mounting hardware is visible on shower doors, not always. Look for caps on the stem of the towel bar, pop the caps off to access the screws. Look on the inside and underside for set screw holes is another option.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You could have your screws mounted under the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Usually, mounting hardware is visible on shower doors, not always. Look for caps on the stem of the towel bar, pop the caps off to access the screws. Look on the inside and underside for set screw holes is another option.
    Thank you for your help I had already taken the bar off. it is a part I will call it a hinge. That is stuck on glass door the glass in the middle of the hinge. and under that looks like rubber on both sides. I was going to try to pry it off on both sides but afraid I will break the glass. Thank you again.

Look for a set screw, the kind you need an Allen wrench to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by restoring1964 View Post
    Thank you for your help I had already taken the bar off. it is a part I will call it a hinge. That is stuck on glass door the glass in the middle of the hinge. and under that looks like rubber on both sides. I was going to try to pry it off on both sides but afraid I will break the glass. Thank you again.
    Gotcha! More than likely, it is simply a press fit, the rubber gasket, for lack of a better term, grips the glass between the set width of the jaws of the hinge plates. You might be able to get the hinge off the edge of the door without breaking the glass, but you are just as likely to have the door shatter in your hands as you try. There might be a set screw, as Houston suggests, but doubtful.

IMHO, you would be better off leaving the hinges alone and painting them in place. Taping off the door around the hinge will be far faster and easier than trying to remove it, much less reinstall it back in place exactly where it needs to be to function properly again.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Or use a wide putty knife to gently pry it off

Put a cushion or old piece of carpeting below the door to catch it when it drops. The door can take some abuse hitting it on the broad flat side, but one little tap on the edge and you're sweeping it up.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Gotcha! More than likely, it is simply a press fit, the rubber gasket, for lack of a better term, grips the glass between the set width of the jaws of the hinge plates. You might be able to get the hinge off the edge of the door without breaking the glass, but you are just as likely to have the door shatter in your hands as you try. There might be a set screw, as Houston suggests, but doubtful.

IMHO, you would be better off leaving the hinges alone and painting them in place. Taping off the door around the hinge will be far faster and easier than trying to remove it, much less reinstall it back in place exactly where it needs to be to function properly again.
    Thank you for your help. Yes I think I will just tape off the door, and paint the handles. I have been known to shatter a few mirrors in my day. So I think I will go the safest route.Your help was very much appreciated. Have A Great day...
    Last edited by restoring1964; 08-27-2014 at 04:04 PM.

You're welcome. Keep us updated on your progress.