+ Reply to Thread

Default is self leveling cement required if you are going install an electric heated floor ?

I need some advice. I am going to renovate my kitchen new everything. There is old linoleum that is glued down 30 years ago. I would like to leave it there and install a new plywood over it, what ever thickness is required. then put electric in floor heating cables then tile. My question is the kitchen has a slope to it of about 1 1/4 so if i must use self leveling cement the door way would have the plywood, then the self leveling cement the the tile. so it would have a step going into the kitchen of 2 1/4 inches. If i just use the plywood tile cement and tile it would be around one inch. much easier to live with.
    Thank you for any advice you can give me
    Bill

Default Re: is self leveling cement required if you are going install an electric heated floo

Bill,

Before you tile, you have to make sure the floor joists can support tile, then we discuss the plywood under the linoleum.

The fine folks at the John Bridge Tile Forum can handle all your concerns. Tell them we said hello

Default Re: is self leveling cement required if you are going install an electric heated floo

What you are trying to do will add significant weight to the floor - you don't want that without checking the joists.
    Then you need to find out why you have a sag. Once you find out, you can correct the situation and go ahead with your plans.

i went to the web site at John Bridge Tile Forum. they had an app that would calculate if you could install tiles. It all had to do with the size of the floor joist and spacing and plywood on top. I entered information and it said to go ahead. Anybody looking to install a new tile floor should check out this web site.