+ Reply to Thread

Default Leveling out a floor

Hi to all,I'm new in here.I'm going to redo the bathroom which has a 1-1/4" sag in it. It's in a 6' 6" span which was an addition 20 years ago.The sag is in the direction the beams run.The structure is solid and there is a crawl space underneath and am able to get under to do any work involved.My question is this.For me to level the floor,I was contemplating using self leveling cement over the existing floor by first removing the ceramic tile which is on top of 3/4 subfloor.Then priming everything first with appropriate bonding agent.With this method,can I pour the self leveler in stages to make it easier on myself or is it better to just go for the whole thing as one? My other option is cut out the whole plywood subfloor,then laminate new 2x8s to the existing,making the beams level,then new 3/4 subfloor on top of that? I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thank you----John

Default Re: Leveling out a floor

John,

Is the unsupported span really 6'6" or is the room 6'6" ?

To find out the floor deflection and its suitability for tile, head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum and start a thread there with some pictures.

Houston,The room is 6'6"x10'.The center support beam in the mid of the house is about another 5' past the 6'6" wall.I'll try to go to the site you said.I don't have pics at this time but I feel that the settling has stopped a long time ago. I appreciate your getting back to me----John

If it's sagging now, it's safe to say that by adding the extra weight of your leveling cement it will sag even more.

The proper approach would be to determine why it sags (deflection) and a remedy.

The folks at the John Bridge Tile Forum have a handy dandy deflecto-meter to determine if the flooring system is capable of handling tile, and if not, what you need to do to fix it.

Pretty cool huh?

With dj1 on this. You're talking about adding weight to an area that is already not handling the existing weight- not something to patch over but something to fix before proceeding. If the sag elsewhere is acceptable and you just want to level the bath area (and it is supported well enough to hold the extra weight) you might be able to 'sister' the existing joists to level, thus increasing their stiffness for the tilework but that means a full floor demo and it also means you can no longer go back and level the rest since that would place the bath back out of level again in the other direction.

You can't get solid results from an unsolid base, so that has to be the first step here.

Phil