+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Old Exterior Storm Door

I have an old storm door (probably from the 50's) that is not needed and I want to remove. I have no problem taking it down but I dont know what I need to do to fix the exterior frame once the door is gone.

The storm door has a strip of what looks like rivets all around the perimeter (I know it isn't actually rivets but that is what it looks like). What type of trim or flashing or material do I put up to protect the door frame once the storm door is removed?

Default Re: Removing Old Exterior Storm Door

The storm doors I've seen have a metal frame around the perimeter of the door that is screwed to the wood trim/frame of the door. Pull the screws and the door comes off. If the screw holes are noticeable, fill with spackle or you can crush them with a nail set to blend them into rough hewn trim, and repaint the trim/frame.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the quick response. That sounds like what I have. You dont think I need to do anything else other than fill the holes? Do you think it is safe from water damage or other weather problem potential?

I do not get it. You said the storm door was not needed and then you ask if it's removal will be a problem. What is up with that?
    Last edited by NEC; 05-16-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudos View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. That sounds like what I have. You dont think I need to do anything else other than fill the holes? Do you think it is safe from water damage or other weather problem potential?
    No problem

No, filling the holes and painting will protect from the elements, even if in direct contact with sun/rain. I offer the idea of crushing the screw holes shut if the trim is rough because trying to fill rough trim is nearly impossible without it looking filled. It's better to crush around the perimeter with a nail set and hammer than to try and fill it. You could glue some wooden toothpicks in the holes prior to crushing, but unless this is getting direct rain, I wouldn't worry about it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sorry, let me clarify my prior comment. It is still an exterior door that needs to be protected from the elements, but I don't really need a whole storm door and would be fine with the exterior door standing alone.

What I am worried about is the trim that remains after I pull off this storm door. I haven't removed the door yet but I am suspecting that the trim is wrecked by all the holes. My question is if I need to do anything more to protect that trim other than hole filling.

Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Chudos View Post
    Sorry, let me clarify my prior comment. It is still an exterior door that needs to be protected from the elements, but I don't really need a whole storm door and would be fine with the exterior door standing alone.

What I am worried about is the trim that remains after I pull off this storm door. I haven't removed the door yet but I am suspecting that the trim is wrecked by all the holes. My question is if I need to do anything more to protect that trim other than hole filling.

Hope that helps...
    Ummmmmmm.......... Paint it? Someone put in a storm door for a reason? I do not get it. Is the rest of your house painted?

Filling the holes and sealing with paint should be fine. If the trim is seriously damaged, such as splits caused by the storm installation screws, they can be filled or new trim installed. If you replace the trim I would suggest you do it with vinyl lumber or trim.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Not sure if I would use spackle to fill the holes on an exterior. When I removed my screen door I filled the holes with a real wood filler. It dries super quick and is very hard after it sets. Then you can sand it and use exterior primer and paint.