+ Reply to Thread

Default looking for A quick way to remove peeling paint

I recently had an estimate done for some exterior painting. the guy said they power wash using some sort of spray tip that rotates to remove peeling paint. does anyone know where i might be able to find this spray tip or something similar. or are there any other methods that are quick. i need to paint the soffits on our new house.

Default Re: looking for A quick way to remove peeling paint

a powerwasher will work. so will scrap ing and sanding......

a little tip...."looking for a quick way" 95% of the time is not the right way to do things. when you look back at the job you did a year or two or three down the road you're either going to say "damn, i'm glad i spent an extra hour prepping for that paint job" or you're going to say "damn, i wish i spent another hour prepping for that paint job"

Ditto!

As to where to find an oscillating tip, any paint dealer who carries pressure washers will have them. A pump repair shop would also have them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Those rotating tips may very well damage the siding beyond repair. I know. I have one. When I use it to clean the sidewalk you can feel pieces of sidewalk (sand) being blown into the air.

I would never use a rotary tip on wood. Unless you don't want the wood.

Just to support what they said: exterior painting is 90% prep work. So "quick, cheap and easy" is a fantasy.

I prefer mechanical removal- the old fashioned way. Pressure washing drives water into wood where it's bare; now you have to wait till it's dried completely to prime. That moisture can cause the edges of the bare spot to begin peeling which if left dry would not have happened. Pressure washing can eat away softer woods if done aggressively. And worst case scenario, pressure washing can force water behind the siding and trim boards into places where rain would never have gone.

Yes, scr@ping is slow and tedious but it's very controllable so you can be gentle right next to aggressive based on need. You're keeping all the wood dry so you can caulk and prime as you go. You're close to the work so you can see any other problems you want to address like loose or unset nails or a board that is just beginning to split in time to fix it without delaying the paint application.

Pressure washing is a faster and easier way to do a decent job when you can do an excellent job instead. Since prep is the most important part of painting why would you scrimp there? Most "professionals" now do it simply to speed up the collection of your money. If you were here I could show you two 60 year old houses on the same street which were both painted 5 years ago- one scr@ped (mine) and one pressure washed (another guy using the same products). Same builder, same age, and same current owner. Guess which one has peeling paint? Hint- Mine still looks as good as the day I did it. Hint 2- I still have this customer but the other guy is gone.

Your house, your choice.
    Phil