Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Leaking Roof - Help!

I was doing some research ****** and looked up my shingles (Owens Corning Oak Ridge Pro 30) with 30 year limited warranty. Seems that this shingle was involved in a class action lawsuit 5 years ago for pre-mature aging, defective materials, etc.

I am going to attempt to reach out to Owens Corning directly on this, but short of that, I might file a complaint with the PA Attorney General's office if Owens Corning doesn't respond to at least partially reimburse me.

I guess the thing that is really throwing me for a loop is why I paid $5000 ten years ago for this roof (which included also 10 windows, a door, a storm door, and new dormer vinyl siding) and now a new roof only is costing me almost $8000. It just seems like such a big jump in amount - I'm really shocked at the price difference from what I paid 10 years ago for windows, doors, siding, and a roof compared to just getting a roof now. Have prices gone up that much in such a short time?

Anybody have any other suggestions as to how to proceed in terms of getting Owens Corning to honor the warranty? In the meantime, I only have another month to resolve this and get a new roof (I think that's what I'm stuck with now), so I'll have to hire a contractor real soon to get the work done before winter sets in.

Bruce -

My place was a brick cape cod with siding on the dormers built in the mid 50s in Westwood off Noblestown Rd. Likely similar construction to you. My leak was in the "back" of the house, where the dormer houses the full bathroom. 1/2 bath was below that, and the leak likely occurred along the cast iron waste pipe and showed up in the all in the lower bath. Could not identify if it was the pipe leaking(no smell and clear water so not likely), the boot, a bad seam in the pipe above where it took on waste water or what it was.

Good luck. It was a pretty good house otherwise.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Well, I think I am making some progress. I had both of my area's big box retailers come out and give me an estimate for a new roof using 50 year shingles, flashing, ice guard, old shingle removal, 30 lbs. felt, etc. The dimensional shingles from one store used Owens Corning while the other used GAF. One store gave me a price of $7800 while the other gave me a price of $5900.

I'm wondering why the price difference is so large. The shingles seem to be almost identical except for the manufacturer. Both claimed their contractors are highly trained and work reviewed; and warranties are pretty much the same.

Anybody have any clues why the price difference could be so much different? I figured there would be a slight difference (maybe $500 apart in their quotes), but not $1900 difference for essentially the same roof replacement. Just curious if anyone had any views on that.

Naturally, given the experience I'm currently having with Owens Corning shingles, I'm leaning toward the GAF ones regardless of the price. I just wondered if anyone might know why the pricing is so different. Thanks.

Go with the lower bid, if they are equal in quality...

There is no particular reason why there's a $1900 difference. Sometimes bidders up their bids, hoping that the homeowner will get hooked due to some other detail. Like personality...or looking and sounding the part.

With the big stores, the bidders are not the actual roofers you'll find on the top of your house.

Send us pictures of before and after.